PhD/PsyD Pre-Doctoral Masters Degree Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SouthShoreStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I apologize if this question is already out there, but I couldn't find an answer that I felt was relevant to my situation.

I am a psychiatric RN with an undergraduate degree in psychology (completed research and practicum). I am currently in school working on my masters degree in nursing to become a psychiatric/mental health nurse practitioner (provides license with diagnostic, treatment/prescription authority). While I will have the license to treat patients with psychiatric conditions (mainly through prescription), I desire to one day work toward earning my PhD in Counseling Psychology. I have a passion for the study of psychology and feel graduate study would provide me with a balanced approach to patient care, as well as give me the flexibility to teach in the future.

That being said, most of the Counseling Psychology PhD programs near me (Boston College, Northeastern University, and UMass Boston) require a masters degree for admission. Does anyone have experience with what degrees admissions will consider in these programs? I am curious if my masters degree program will satisfy the requirement, or if I will need to complete an additional masters degree specifically in psychology or counseling (and if so, would a general non-licensure program make sense?).

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.