Pre-employment physical for surgeons- Hep C or HIV testing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajlmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Who has been required to have a physical exam performed by their new hospital of employment as a part of orientation? Interestingly, I never had to have one done by the hospital for which I will be working either for residency, fellowship, or my current job.

All of the places where I have previously been employed I never was required to test for Hep C or HIV. I got tested near the end of my residency 4 years ago just out of fear- I have no "personal" risk factors but had been splashed and stuck with suture needles numerous times, particularly while on the trauma service, throughout residency. Fortunately, I tested negative.

I assume what my new job will perform involves a basic physical, urine, TB screen, and maybe Hep B Ab (my recent PPD was negative and I've been vaccinated so have the hep B Ab.)

Do any routinely test for Hep C or HIV? I haven't had any major sticks or exposures since finishing residency but have had cases where I've taken off my gloves and found blood on my skin. I realize it's pretty unlikely that I have either, though I know that it's a risk of doing surgery. I have no "high risk" habits so if I were to test + it would definitely be something that I picked up at work. That said, I have been wondering if it is worthwhile to retest at my current job on the very unlikely chance I am + so that I can be covered under my current disability insurance.

Any advice from someone with experience on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
a

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't had any testing for hep/hiv since an exposure as a med student, and it never came up in my pre-employment phys. Basically they collected my proof of immunization that I brought from my residency file, did a very brief physical (actually I don't even remember him laying hands on me!), TB skin test, and collected pee for a UDS. Was all pretty painless.