Pre-employment physical for surgeons- Hep C or HIV testing?

Started by ajlmd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ajlmd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Who has been required to have a physical exam performed by their new hospital of employment as a part of orientation? Interestingly, I never had to have one done by the hospital for which I will be working either for residency, fellowship, or my current job.

All of the places where I have previously been employed I never was required to test for Hep C or HIV. I got tested near the end of my residency 4 years ago just out of fear- I have no "personal" risk factors but had been splashed and stuck with suture needles numerous times, particularly while on the trauma service, throughout residency. Fortunately, I tested negative.

I assume what my new job will perform involves a basic physical, urine, TB screen, and maybe Hep B Ab (my recent PPD was negative and I've been vaccinated so have the hep B Ab.)

Do any routinely test for Hep C or HIV? I haven't had any major sticks or exposures since finishing residency but have had cases where I've taken off my gloves and found blood on my skin. I realize it's pretty unlikely that I have either, though I know that it's a risk of doing surgery. I have no "high risk" habits so if I were to test + it would definitely be something that I picked up at work. That said, I have been wondering if it is worthwhile to retest at my current job on the very unlikely chance I am + so that I can be covered under my current disability insurance.

Any advice from someone with experience on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
a
 
I haven't had any testing for hep/hiv since an exposure as a med student, and it never came up in my pre-employment phys. Basically they collected my proof of immunization that I brought from my residency file, did a very brief physical (actually I don't even remember him laying hands on me!), TB skin test, and collected pee for a UDS. Was all pretty painless.