Pre-Existing Courses + Pre-Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmtechcat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

If you already have existing BA and MS degrees, do any courses transfer over for Med school or do you have to take them over? Or is it completely up to the program?

Thanks!

Sunny

Members don't see this ad.

You take them over. Even if you have similar sounding classes the reality is they are quite different.

The focus of a biochemistry course in college is about the chemistry and biology. The focus of a biochemistry class in college is how it relates to human disease. Plus the fact that you will cover a semesters worth of prior biochemistry in about 2.5 days in medical school.

You take them over. Even if you have similar sounding classes the reality is they are quite different.

The focus of a biochemistry course in college is about the chemistry and biology. The focus of a biochemistry class in college is how it relates to human disease. Plus the fact that you will cover a semesters worth of prior biochemistry in about 2.5 days in medical school.
Makes sense. I didn't take ANY of those courses in undergrad, so it'd be back to basics for me. What about the required classes like Western Civ, etc? Couldn't imagine doing those again! Haha.

Sunny

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you have a bachelors degree and wish to apply to medical school.

Most medical schools require a bachelors degree and a year's worth of chemistry, ochem, bio, and physics. If, like me, you didn't take those classes the first time around, you can take them at a college and use that to qualify for med school. If you start with general chemistry in a compressed summer program, you can do the whole sequence in one calendar year. Then the next year you can apply, take the MCAT, take biochemistry, whatever.

It sounds like you have a bachelors degree and wish to apply to medical school.

Most medical schools require a bachelors degree and a year's worth of chemistry, ochem, bio, and physics. If, like me, you didn't take those classes the first time around, you can take them at a college and use that to qualify for med school. If you start with general chemistry in a compressed summer program, you can do the whole sequence in one calendar year. Then the next year you can apply, take the MCAT, take biochemistry, whatever.
Yep, I have a BA and a MS. I had no idea of that fast track - that's what I was looking for, you mind reader. :)

Ironically, I concentrated in Healthcare Informatics in grad school, which still won't help me now! Lol.

Thank you!

Sunny