Pre-Interview Decision Update Letter - Worth it or Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albb28

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to interview at my top-choice school a couple of weeks ago. Post-interview decisions will come out later this month after the admissions committee meets. The school allows for updates and I recently submitted an abstract and will present a poster presentation (first author) after I present and before the decision and committee meeting. Would it be worth sending the school an update letter about the poster presentation to hopefully move the needle towards an A? If so, would I only update them about the poster after I present it? Or could I also say I've been continuing the other commitments listed in my primary/secondary? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree it's unlikely to move the needle. Send it if you're going to obsess over "doing everything" but the timing likely doesn't matter.

I was fortunate enough to interview at my top-choice school a couple of weeks ago. Post-interview decisions will come out later this month after the admissions committee meets. The school allows for updates and I recently submitted an abstract and will present a poster presentation (first author) after I present and before the decision and committee meeting. Would it be worth sending the school an update letter about the poster presentation to hopefully move the needle towards an A? If so, would I only update them about the poster after I present it? Or could I also say I've been continuing the other commitments listed in my primary/secondary? Thanks in advance!

I suppose if it makes you feel better, you could send it after your conference.

Telling me you are continuing your commitments is not helpful; we presume the ones you mention as "current" means "ongoing." A poster will not affect your application review.