Pre-interview dinners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kid Icarus 3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate to even bring up a subject like this but as many times as I've heard they really don't matter I feel like they do. Currently debating missing the Wake Forest dinner in order to go to another interview but don't want it to hurt my chances at Wake. Just curious to hear people weigh in on this subject again. Pre/Post interview dinner worth it? Sorry for the stupidity in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

According to classmates going to dinners for other specialties, they matter significantly. However, I am going to miss 4 dinners in November and couple in December due to flights and back to back interviews. I'm just going to give it my best.

Reactions: 1 user
Ive heard otherwise, more if you can go then that's fine but its more for the applicant to just talk informally. But if you do attend just don't get drunk and vomit on everyone [probably not a good idea].

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview dinners are my favorite part of the process. It really is a great way to get a good feel for the program and to make a more informed assessment of whether or not you are a good fit based on the residents that they recruit. I am a current applicant myself, so I can't comment on how residents perceive an applicant's attendance or absence. But they are so relaxed and I can't imagine the residents "taking attendance" or keeping track of whether or not a certain applicant attended the dinner or not. The only advantage I can think of is that you may make connections with the residents who may be able to speak up for you if they happen to be on the admissions committee. Otherwise, I don't think missing a dinner should hurt your application - or at least I hope not!

Last edited:
The pre- interview dinners are typically very informal, but are nonetheless a very important part of your "interview." Much of the feedback that we residents give to our program director is based on our interactions with you during the dinner. This is how we get to know you and decide whether we could get along for the next three years. We do "take attendance" and the PD wants to know who attended and who did not. That may sound harsh, but it is a tangible way to gauge your interest in the program. I think it is equally important for you to go to get a sense of what the culture of the program is like and whether you would enjoy working with the residents you meet there. As an interviewee, I had a lot of fun meeting residents, other applicants, etc. during these dinners. They are also a good way to calm your nerves a bit and settle in before interviews the next day.

The pre- interview dinners are typically very informal, but are nonetheless a very important part of your "interview." Much of the feedback that we residents give to our program director is based on our interactions with you during the dinner. This is how we get to know you and decide whether we could get along for the next three years. We do "take attendance" and the PD wants to know who attended and who did not. That may sound harsh, but it is a tangible way to gauge your interest in the program. I think it is equally important for you to go to get a sense of what the culture of the program is like and whether you would enjoy working with the residents you meet there. As an interviewee, I had a lot of fun meeting residents, other applicants, etc. during these dinners. They are also a good way to calm your nerves a bit and settle in before interviews the next day.

Ok. Chill out. If you can't make it you can't make it.

It's program dependent. And think about it logically. Most programs rank you day of or day after. No residents involved except for the chief. I feel like all the interview dinner can do is screw you over. If you attend and you are loved but your interview or your rank is whatever, that is probably not gonna match you at that program. If you attend and you act a fool and you get reported to PD but ur interview went well , they may consider not ranking you as high.

I really do believe that most PDs understand that this is a busy season with back to back interviews. If you can't make it and you love a program. Send them an email letting them know how sorry you are to miss the dinner. I don't believe residents have a huge say in ranking... I really don't.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok. Chill out. If you can't make it you can't make it.

It's program dependent. And think about it logically. Most programs rank you day of or day after. No residents involved except for the chief. I feel like all the interview dinner can do is screw you over. If you attend and you are loved but your interview or your rank is whatever, that is probably not gonna match you at that program. If you attend and you act a fool and you get reported to PD but ur interview went well , they may consider not ranking you as high.

I really do believe that most PDs understand that this is a busy season with back to back interviews. If you can't make it and you love a program. Send them an email letting them know how sorry you are to miss the dinner. I don't believe residents have a huge say in ranking... I really don't.

I think that's a good point, Dr. Zeke, that it is program dependent. When I was interviewing, it seemed like most of the dinners were meant to be an informal way to get to the know the program. I was actually surprised that my program seems to put a stronger emphasis on them. Regarding resident participation in ranking, our PD basically tells us that if there is anyone we absolutely do not want to work with, he will not rank them (unless faculty strongly disagrees). We also give our general feedback. Only senior residents actually vote. My guess is that a common thread in most programs is that faculty obviously dictate the actual rankings, but residents may have some degree of "veto power." Overall, I would not stress out about the dinners too much, but I think it can only help you to show up and be personable.

In general: The point is to get to know some of the residents/program/city in an informal environment. Act normal, don't take your pants off at the dinner table and you will be fine. Don't go, and....you will still be fine. No one is taking attendance and using the dinner as a gauge of your interest or commitment.

There may a small chance you hit it off with some resident(s) and that resident might go the extra mile to put in a good word for you. Don't count on it.

Hey everyone -

I am a program coordinator, and while I definitely can't speak for all programs, our program at least treats the dinners very casually. They are not required because we realize that travel arrangements can make it difficult to attend dinners and back-to-back interviews, which many candidates will have to deal with. We had a great turnout at our first dinner, but our second will have a smaller crowd and it's simply travel-related. From an administrative side, we do need to take attendance but only because our finance office requires a listing of the names of people attending any sort of event where we are providing meals or have any other "business entertainment expenses". I imagine most programs have a similar requirement, so I wouldn't worry too much if one of the residents is checking you off on a list as you join the crowd. Just relax and have fun.

Reactions: 3 users