Pre-Interview Help- Ethical Questions, Healthcare Reform, DO Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, what is the best way to prepare for ethical questions?

Also, what is the best book to read regarding healthcare reform/current healthcare situation?

Lastly, what's the best book to learn more about osteopathic medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Best way to prepare for ethical questions is to really think about your stance on things like abortion, academic cheating, birth control for young (<18) women, stem cell research, would you do something against your morals, etc. These seem to be hot topics. There's no right or wrong answer. Just say what you feel, and why you feel it. Defend your stance and don't give in if the interviewer pressures you. He/she is just testing whether you really believe it or if you're just saying it to please them.

Google current US healthcare reform. There's a lot of sites out there that detail the issues and can help you form your own opinion.

Personally, I read "DOs in America" by Norman Gevitz. It gives a pretty good history about Osteopathy and the challenges DOs faced in the past and will continue to face in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, what is the best book to read regarding healthcare reform/current healthcare situation?

Internet, internet, and internet.

Ethical questions are really just opinion. You can't really prepare for them other than thinking about what some ethical questions would be and then think about it. They don't really ask you what your position is... just the pros and cons of it. I was asked what the pros and cons were of physician-assisted suicide in my interview. Ethics questions are usually considered to be more difficult interview questions (the interviewers even apologized for it before and after they asked, haha)... so I think you'll get credit for simply answering the question.

For healthcare reform, just look up the trends in healthcare. I was asked about this too (specifically, I was asked to consider the direction healthcare is going and what it would be like for physicians in the future). This is sort of the typical question they'd ask, if at all.

To learn more on osteopathic medicine, just read up online. Wikipedia is always a good starting spot. They won't ask you trivia or anything... like "who is the founder of osteopathic medicine and when was he born?" It'll be incorporated into a bigger question.. like "what did you learn about osteopathic medicine from your shadowing experience with Dr. ________"

Best way to prepare for ethical questions is to really think about your stance on things like abortion, academic cheating, birth control for young (<18) women, stem cell research, would you do something against your morals, etc. These seem to be hot topics. There's no right or wrong answer. Just say what you feel, and why you feel it. Defend your stance and don't give in if the interviewer pressures you. He/she is just testing whether you really believe it or if you're just saying it to please them.

Google current US healthcare reform. There's a lot of sites out there that detail the issues and can help you form your own opinion.

Personally, I read "DOs in America" by Norman Gevitz. It gives a pretty good history about Osteopathy and the challenges DOs faced in the past and will continue to face in the future.

+1,000 for "The DOs" by Norman Gevitz. It gets a little dry towards the end, but I thought the first 3/4ths of the book was really useful in order to appreciate exactly how the DO profession came about. It absolutely solidified my understanding of the DO philosophy.

For healthcare/current healthcare situation, the following two articles will be helpful:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande?yrail

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204005504574235751720822322.html

For the ethical questions, I read an article about prepping for interviews that said that your answer should ALWAYS be centered around what it best for the patient. i.e. If a fellow student is cheating, they may not learn something, and might kill someone later down the road. So, your personal opinion might be to tell them to turn themselves in, or to just turn them in, or to let them cheat knowing that they might kill a person. The point being that the article suggested the patient's well being should be center of your thought process.

You can take it or leave it, that's just what I read.

Scroll through the interview questions in SDN's Interview feedback section.

Ask your friends//professors/colleagues to pimp you on some.

What would YOU ask your firends if they ask for help?????????