pre-interview "letter of interest"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied late so I have yet to hear back from some of the schools about interviews... Does anyone know if it will have any impact (in terms of interview invites) to send some sort of letter of interest to schools, or is this only done post-interview as a letter of intent to attend. At two of the schools I have yet to hear back from I've been placed in smaller applicant pools for further review rather then being rejected, so I feel that I'm fairly competitive at those schools. I want to give myself the best chance possible of getting noticed/interviewed

Members don't see this ad.

I had sent out two letters of interest earlier in the application cycle pre-interview. I dont really know if it does much pre-interview but I suppose it wont hurt to try seeing as you have nothing to lose. I would suggest it if you have important update information to convey such as grades, jobs etc. that you would like to be looked at.
The "culture" however dictates that one send a letter of interest post interview.

I sent 3 pre-interview letters of interest/update letters and eventually got interviews from 2 of those schools and got deferred for an interview at the third (after being held in limbo at that school forever). Whether my update letter had anything to do with the invites, I'll never know, but I don't think it hurts to remind a school that you're interested in them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say it won't hurt you, so there is nothing to lose but a little bit of your time. But make sure that these letters aren't generic, research the schools and be as detailed as you can be. Also make sure that the school's interview season won't end tomorrow. Although this was a post-interview letter of interest, check it out, you'll get the right idea: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1216797&postcount=1

Good luck, and remember the only sure way to fail at something is to quit.

yeah, who knows if it really works, but it might just make you feel better in the long run....that you did "everything possible" to help your chances.

i was in your shoes....i applied very late (complete around dec 1st) and sent emails to the four schools i applied to expressing my interest in january. i received interviews at all four within 3-4 weeks. while i doubt that the letter got me the interview, i think that the letter might have encouraged someone to actually pick up my application and consider me for an interview.....

anyone else got anything to add? thanks for the previous responses

anyone else got anything to add? thanks for the previous responses

I think generally that a letter of interest is more of a "I'm on the waitlist, but I love your school so you should accept me" thing (at this point they've deemed you "qualified" for their school, so in choosing among qualified applicants, schools want students who really want them).
Pre-interview, they're probably still determining whether they consider you qualified, so I don't know if they care too much about an intense desire to attend.

That being said, who knows, it might help and it couldn't possibly hurt. Do it.

The only thing I have to "lose" is that lets say I send in a letter of interest pre-interview, I interview there, then I am put on a waitlist. At this post-interview point, I would have a harder time selling myself/telling them how interested I am in their school or program because I already spilled all of that in the pre-interview letter. So other than that I don't have much to lose, but if I was granted an interview I'm sure I would find out many new things to write about in a letter of intent.

Also, as you talk to more people (former grads, SDN community, and so on), you'll always learn new things about a school that you may or may not like. So as you said yourself, there is always something new to talk about in subsequent letters.

I'd say it won't hurt you, so there is nothing to lose but a little bit of your time. But make sure that these letters aren't generic, research the schools and be as detailed as you can be. Also make sure that the school's interview season won't end tomorrow. Although this was a post-interview letter of interest, check it out, you'll get the right idea: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1216797&postcount=1

Good luck, and remember the only sure way to fail at something is to quit.

Is this for real?

The only thing I have to "lose" is that lets say I send in a letter of interest pre-interview, I interview there, then I am put on a waitlist. At this post-interview point, I would have a harder time selling myself/telling them how interested I am in their school or program because I already spilled all of that in the pre-interview letter. So other than that I don't have much to lose, but if I was granted an interview I'm sure I would find out many new things to write about in a letter of intent.

yeah, if you really wanted to go there, you'd find new stuff to say....especially with your new perspectives on the school post-interview. plus, you could also add any "updates" about yourself (i.e...just started shadowing a doctor, or new publication in the works, or new volunteer experience, or i don't know....whatever could happen in the next few months....)