pre-interview resident get-togethers---who pays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smurfette

Gargamel always had a thing for blondes.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this has recently been asked. When you have the "night-before" get-together with residents before your interview, who typically pays for the meal? Does everyone pay their own way, is it program dependent, or does it vary by what field you are applying to? Just curious if I need to budget for these meals or not (especially since it's hard to know estimated price ranges when you come in from out of town).

thanks!
smurfette ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Smurfette said:
Hi all,

Sorry if this has recently been asked. When you have the "night-before" get-together with residents before your interview, who typically pays for the meal? Does everyone pay their own way, is it program dependent, or does it vary by what field you are applying to? Just curious if I need to budget for these meals or not (especially since it's hard to know estimated price ranges when you come in from out of town).

thanks!
smurfette ;)

The program will pay for the meal. I will fall out of my chair if someone can tell me a program which makes you pay.

I had a similiar question: I will be going out to breakfast with the program director at one of the programs I'm interviewing at. I know there is going to be an awkward moment when I sit there trying to decide if I should offer to pay.

Yuo know, in my invite interview from UI Peoria, they specifically state something about them picking up the tab.

You can always call the people and ask, I suppose...

docB said:
UC Davis makes you pay (or did up through last year). No budget for it.
I will say I have now fallen out of my chair because I understand not having the money to pay for a hotel but if you invite someone to lunch they usually don't pay. So do the residents pay for the lunch/dinner also. What field was this in.

I have been to two pre-interview dinners and have not had to pay either time.

IV Doc said:
I will say I have now fallen out of my chair because I understand not having the money to pay for a hotel but if you invite someone to lunch they usually don't pay. So do the residents pay for the lunch/dinner also. What field was this in.

EM

stormjen said:
I had a similiar question: I will be going out to breakfast with the program director at one of the programs I'm interviewing at. I know there is going to be an awkward moment when I sit there trying to decide if I should offer to pay.

I think Ms. Manners would say that the prudent thing to do in this situation is to be quick to pull out the wallet when the bill arrives, and then quickly put it away with an expression of gratitude if the more senior party (PD) states that they are catching the bill.

dry dre said:
I think Ms. Manners would say that the prudent thing to do in this situation is to be quick to pull out the wallet when the bill arrives, and then quickly put it away with an expression of gratitude if the more senior party (PD) states that they are catching the bill.

Exactly.

I'd treat the lunch/dinner like I would with any other group of people/friends - always pull out the wallet when the check arrives.

When they say these dinners are "casual dress", what does that mean?

I think they mean nice pants (no jeans) and a nice shirt, but no tie.

caedmon said:
When they say these dinners are "casual dress", what does that mean?

While I'd disagree with the comment above that its ok to wear jeans (maybe it really IS ok at some places, but isn't it always better to be overdresssed than underdressed? At least that's what I was taught.), something like Docker type pants and a collared shirt/blouse would be appropriate for both sexes. Some interviewees will wear a suit to these functions but the best plan is to check with the residency coordinator or whomever is inviting you and inquire as to "how casual".

docB said:
UC Davis makes you pay (or did up through last year). No budget for it.

Wow...awe and shock. Not only is this considered rude by Ms Manner's standards but would be totally unexpected IMHO. Seems a bit cheap...its not as if Davis doesn't have a little dough to pay for some eats for its residency candidates. Makes you wonder how you'd be treated if you did residency there. :rolleyes:

Kimberli Cox said:
Wow...awe and shock. Not only is this considered rude by Ms Manner's standards but would be totally unexpected IMHO. Seems a bit cheap...its not as if Davis doesn't have a little dough to pay for some eats for its residency candidates. Makes you wonder how you'd be treated if you did residency there. :rolleyes:

It was a great residency. There was some kind of budget constraint placed on the program that they couldn't foot the bill for the dinner. Maybe that will change now that they just acheived departmental status.

Kimberli Cox said:
While I'd disagree with the comment above that its ok to wear jeans (maybe it really IS ok at some places, but isn't it always better to be overdresssed than underdressed? At least that's what I was taught.), something like Docker type pants and a collared shirt/blouse would be appropriate for both sexes. Some interviewees will wear a suit to these functions but the best plan is to check with the residency coordinator or whomever is inviting you and inquire as to "how casual".

Well, we (as residents) wear jeans, and we go out to local places that are not formal, so maybe we are truly more "casual". I mean, what would you think of a place that says "casual" is a tie and no jacket? I, personally, have had enough of uptight, and I don't mind people wearing what they would wear when they were off - not on a job interview.

I think I am saying "casual", and you are saying "business casual".

I probably wouldn't go with jeans. Collared shirt and slacks, with no sneakers, at a bare minimum.

Blade28 said:
I probably wouldn't go with jeans. Collared shirt and slacks, with no sneakers, at a bare minimum.

I agree. Even if the residents are wearing jeans you want to make the best impression you can. Pull those Tommy Hilfiger khakis and that nice TH polo or oxford that you bought for clinicals and haven't worn since your Medicine clerkship out of storage. I plan on wearing a similar outfit to all lunches/dinners etc. unless otherwise specified by the program. :horns:

ekydrd said:
I agree. Even if the residents are wearing jeans you want to make the best impression you can. Pull those Tommy Hilfiger khakis and that nice TH polo or oxford that you bought for clinicals and haven't worn since your Medicine clerkship out of storage. I plan on wearing a similar outfit to all lunches/dinners etc. unless otherwise specified by the program. :horns:

Agreed. Better safe than sorry.

Apollyon said:
Well, we (as residents) wear jeans, and we go out to local places that are not formal, so maybe we are truly more "casual". I mean, what would you think of a place that says "casual" is a tie and no jacket? I, personally, have had enough of uptight, and I don't mind people wearing what they would wear when they were off - not on a job interview.

I think I am saying "casual", and you are saying "business casual".

Well, our pre-interview dinner/get together is considered "casual" but we (the residents) are specifically told not to wear jeans or scrubs and I would imagine that an interviewee would want to look pretty spiffy.

I never said that someone should wear a tie to these get togethers - a collared shirt (ie, not a t-shirt) and trousers should be sufficient. If someone shows up in a tie or suit that would be fine - many candidates do.

I agree there is a difference between business casual and casual and I would support the former as appropriate for a candidate. Don't most business manuals advise job candidates to dress "one step up" from their superiors? That means if residents are wearing jeans, then I would "dress one step up" to cotton trousers and a buttoned shirt.

(Shrug) I frankly don't care what someone wears as long as its neat and clean, but even when I go out with friends to a "casual" dinner I don't wear jeans. Those are for washing the car and going to the grocery store. Maybe its my upbringing - I wasn't allowed to wear jeans (or "dungarees" as my parents called them. ;) ) to school and never wore them on social occasions. Didn't own my first pair until about age 22 or so. But that's me and I suspect many others are like that as well. Has nothing to do with being uptight, just that I was taught that jeans aren't really consider social wear - albeit I have relaxed (as have my parents) and we do actually wear them out in public now (used to be banned in our family). I think it looks nice to be a little more dressed up in public - not inappropriately so, I save my mink stole for the ballet, but rather just a tad more polished. Its how I'm most comfortable and I suspect most people are more comfortable erring on the safe side of being more formal. Fears of being underdressed in public are the stuff nightmares are made of.

SOME people do care what the interviewees wear and I'd rather take a chance on the "safe" side and go more dressed up - khakis, collared shirt, no sneakers, etc. sound good to me. Bottom line is that everyone has different expectations and its up to the interviewees to decide what's best for them. I don't care and as long as someone isn't outlandishly dressed and inappropriate I probably won't even notice what they're wearing and it certainly won't figure into my ranking decisions.

I think you are going to find that this varies significantly.

We have a pre-interview party/get together. It is always at a residents apartment (that is in resident housing, right near the hospital). These tend to be very casual, and it says so in the invitation. I have seen people show up in jeans and a nice shirt and no one thought different.

However, when I interviewed, I probably would have avoided jeans. I think some nice pants and a shirt are fine. I would avoid being WAAAAAAAAAAY overdressed.

If their isa dinner, I would NOT wear a suit. Dress like you are going out to dinner to a nicer restraunt with your parents. And be prepared to pay just in case.

Blade28 said:
Exactly.

I'd treat the lunch/dinner like I would with any other group of people/friends - always pull out the wallet when the check arrives.

pffft
I refuse to even carry money for one. If they look at me expecting me to pay I won't even rank them.

Fro said:
pffft
I refuse to even carry money for one. If they look at me expecting me to pay I won't even rank them.

I understand where you're coming from, but that would effectively negate the entire interview. And then you'd be out however much cash you spent on airfare, hotel, etc. IMHO, not worth the $20-30 for dinner.

My program is paying for dinner, but they won't pay for EtOH anymore. I certainly don't mind paying for a beer or a glass of wine, but how should I tell my interviewees?

Annette said:
My program is paying for dinner, but they won't pay for EtOH anymore. I certainly don't mind paying for a beer or a glass of wine, but how should I tell my interviewees?

:confused: Tough call. Tell them there's no open bar? :)

roja said:
I think you are going to find that this varies significantly.

We have a pre-interview party/get together. It is always at a residents apartment (that is in resident housing, right near the hospital). These tend to be very casual, and it says so in the invitation. I have seen people show up in jeans and a nice shirt and no one thought different.

However, when I interviewed, I probably would have avoided jeans. I think some nice pants and a shirt are fine. I would avoid being WAAAAAAAAAAY overdressed.

If their isa dinner, I would NOT wear a suit. Dress like you are going out to dinner to a nicer restraunt with your parents. And be prepared to pay just in case.

The location definitely makes a difference.

The reason I am probably more "conservative" in my approach to dress is not only the way I was raised but at our pre-interview get togethers, ATTENDINGS show up (FYI for those interviewing at my program).

If the event was at a resident's apartment I would feel much better being more casual, but an event held at a hotel with attendings in presence with catered food, I still say be more conservative (which I would anyway, regardless of the locale, but just to clarify why I'm fairly adamant about this).

I routinly wore jeans to the 'night before' get togethers. Against all odds, I matched at my #1.