Pre-Interview Update Letter Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoneProcrastinating

Reaction score
Hello SDN,

How highly do admissions committees value pre-interview update letters? I am starting a new clinical job and plan on submitting an update letter within the next couple months. Since clinical experience is a weaker area of my application, I am hoping to make up for it with my job. Given that my writing demonstrates meaningful reflection on the experience, do you think such a letter will help me get an interview invite? Or is this kind of letter not really useful?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked my advisor this question (I'm currently in a post-bac), and he said that schools tend to look at your application exactly as you sent it on the primary application, and that update letters have very little use or significance.

Hello SDN,

How highly do admissions committees value pre-interview update letters? I am starting a new clinical job and plan on submitting an update letter within the next couple months. Since clinical experience is a weaker area of my application, I am hoping to make up for it with my job. Given that my writing demonstrates meaningful reflection on the experience, do you think such a letter will help me get an interview invite? Or is this kind of letter not really useful?

Can't hurt. But "meaningful reflection"????

No, just no.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Hello SDN,

Pre-interview, some schools accept them and others just don't. Check with each school before sending.