prufrock0880

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
how important is it to be able to answer "yes" to the application question "have you spoken with a faculty member about your application"?

SpeakLittleB

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Boston, MA
Status
MD/PhD Student
yes i would like to know too. bump.

anka24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Also, what exactly should you ask the faculty member? Contact by phone or email? Do they find it annoying when a pre-med calls up and is like "I am interested in the MD/PhD program and your work especially. What can you tell me about the work that you do?"

I want to talk to some of the people I've researched at these schools, but i just don't know what to ask them.

About the Ads

77kelly77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
Boston
Status
prufrock0880 said:
Sorry, this may be a dumb question, but I keep seeing "bump" on SDN threads. Does this mean something? What is it? :confused:

mdphdhopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
Status
its common in forums for a person to bump their thread up the list. ie they just post something so that their thread gets boosted up to the top of the list.

flip_d

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
Status
hey, guys. sorry, no answer yet, but i want to phrase the question in slightly different terms.

If we do not contact a professor and indicate as such on our secondary, does that mean that we will have no control over who we interview with?

I know which professors I might want to contact, and would very much like to speak to them when I interview, but I'm quite embarrassed to send them an email inquiry before I've even been granted an interview by their institution. But, if I say 'no' the the 'have you contacted anyone' question on the secondary, it seems like I might lose my chance to have the school set up a meeting for me with that professor...

anka24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
flip_d said:
hey, guys. sorry, no answer yet, but i want to phrase the question in slightly different terms.

If we do not contact a professor and indicate as such on our secondary, does that mean that we will have no control over who we interview with?

I know which professors I might want to contact, and would very much like to speak to them when I interview, but I'm quite embarrassed to send them an email inquiry before I've even been granted an interview by their institution. But, if I say 'no' the the 'have you contacted anyone' question on the secondary, it seems like I might lose my chance to have the school set up a meeting for me with that professor...
It's just awkward to contact a professor before you've been given an interview. I mean, what do you say? "I'm interested in your work. If I get an interview, I would like to meet you."

I actually emailed one faculty member at Case and he never returned my emails. I just think their busy.

rahuldave

mud-fud lab rat ...
10+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2006
Miami
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm a current MD/PhD student ... here's my thoughts on the issue

At most places, it probably isn't absolutely critical that you've contacted someone ... on the other hand, if you have contacted a faculty member it does speak to your interest in the program/school. Some people know which faculty member they want to work with, or have been working in the lab of a particular faculty member. So that's what that question is for.

Also keep in mind that most faculty members love to talk about their research and current projects, as well as recruit prospective students to their department. In general, most will welcome the opportunity to talk to you, although at this point I wouldn't be surprised to hear a response of "let's meet when you interview here" since interview season is around hte corner.

When most places invite you for an interview, they will give you a chance to ask who you'd like to talk to. If not, it is perfectly appropriate to request to speak to a faculty member duringyour interview ("I'm very interested in the work of Dr. X, is there a way I could meet with him during my trip over there?"). Oftentimes, the program administrator is left guessing who you want to talk to based on matching research interests keywords.

Just my two cents

About the Ads