Pre-lim interviews...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

step2whenwhen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I just want to make sure I haven't missed the boat on this. I'm sitting on around 12-13 anesthesia invites from mid to top programs. I've only had TWO invites from prelim-IM programs.

I don't have a sense for when IM programs send out their prelim interviews because I don't see a thread for it here but you all must know :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've only heard from one prelim program so far and that was an interview. However, I've been away from medicine for a while so my application isn't as competitive as yours and I have less anesthesia interviews set up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I applied to 10 prelim/TY programs and only have 2 invites too. Haven't heard anything from the others.

I have 20 anesthesia interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I luckily took advice from a resident who told me if you are applying into a competitive regional area (west coast) then go crazy and apply every where. If you guys are applying to similar regions my only advice would be to find someone at your school to advise you on if to apply to more places right now or not.

I applied to 30 total prelims + TY. So far I got invites from a third but also rejected from almost the same amount as well - I'm expecting a lot more rejections as on the internship forum a lot of places I've been looking at have started giving out interviews already. The prelim match is making me more nervous then the actually anesthesia match...

Anyone know how much internships you should rank if you are looking at a competitive place? 10? 15?... looking at some of the places I'm going to interview at are filled with Derm/Rad Onc people going to amazing places... its making me think my chances aren't too good.

I luckily took advice from a resident who told me if you are applying into a competitive regional area (west coast) then go crazy and apply every where. If you guys are applying to similar regions my only advice would be to find someone at your school to advise you on if to apply to more places right now or not.

I applied to 30 total prelims + TY. So far I got invites from a third but also rejected from almost the same amount as well - I'm expecting a lot more rejections as on the internship forum a lot of places I've been looking at have started giving out interviews already. The prelim match is making me more nervous then the actually anesthesia match...

Anyone know how much internships you should rank if you are looking at a competitive place? 10? 15?... looking at some of the places I'm going to interview at are filled with Derm/Rad Onc people going to amazing places... its making me think my chances aren't too good.

holy crap, going on 10-15 internship interviews seems INCREDIBLY overkill to me. Considering a massive portion of gas positions are categorical anyways, I was planning on around 6 pre-lim interviews.

I applied only to desirable locations on the east coast. 22 med, 10 TY applied, 3 med and 1 TY invite so far. Sitting on 17 gas interviews.

I think charting outcomes 2009 had TY data, you could look at that to give yourself an idea. As far as prelims go, I think your best chances are to match somewhere local. Also, call the program if you are really interested in a specific program/location, bc some places will automatically reject you if you are from a different region of the country.

10-15 internship interviews does seem like a lot--but this really depends on the anesthesia programs to which you have applied. If the majority of your invites are from primarily advanced programs, then 10-15 might not be too bad of an idea. I only interviewed at my medical school's program, the nearby medical school's program, and 2 or 3 other places where the anesthesia programs had only advanced spots (or the majority advanced). I probably would have interviewed at more if I had applied to more programs that were mainly advanced--probably to try and land an intern position in the same city as the anesthesia program (I would not have been happy to move twice).

Thanks, good tip on the 2009 data... basically it looks competitive by that data and to get to the 90% match rate probability in 2009 it took almost 8-10 programs. And I would estimate that its even more competitive today with more people applying and if you limit yourself to geography like i am...

Someone at my school fell to his 9th prelim spot choice - while matching to an extremely competitive anesthesia program for his advanced spot. So I'm just being super careful I think - I would hate to SOAP for a spot and end up at some prelim surg place :confused:. My top choices going into this application year all are part adv./part cat or all adv... so prelims are important for my application.

And I'm not interviewing at my own school's prelim spot because of geography.

If you are really concerned about not matching a prelim year, I would think that applying to your home program would be your slam-dunk, there's no way I am falling past this spot on my prelim list...

If you are really concerned about not matching a prelim year, I would think that applying to your home program would be your slam-dunk, there's no way I am falling past this spot on my prelim list...

I guess my choices were A. apply to a ton of prelim/TY in my desired geographic area or B. suck it up, apply locally and be willing to do another cold freezing winter.... I chose A. b/c B. would probably make me suicidal...

For you guys with >10 anesthesia interviews, when did you submit your application? Did you get more invitations to interview after at least 3 LORs were uploaded?

For you guys with >10 anesthesia interviews, when did you submit your application? Did you get more invitations to interview after at least 3 LORs were uploaded?
Hi cognitus,
I submitted my application once it opened. I already had 3 LORs uploaded at that time. I have absolutely nothing special about my application, except a high Step 2 score. My LORs were probably good. I applied broadly and only to programs I thought I would be competitive at.

Has anyone gotten anymore of these? I mean I know you can always scramble but it'd be nice to have a bit more control of the situation...