Regional fellowship interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasman100

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Stanford, ucla, or ucsd have sent out interviews for their regional anesthesiology fellowships yet?

Members don't see this ad.

just say no

how on earth do these programs fill? do you really think this is a good use of your time? what a ridiculous opportunity cost. you won't be any better at regional than your current co-residents. foot in mouth only if you desire to run a pain service in an academic setting.

Reactions: 4 users
I have a feeling most people who do these fellowships come from a mediocre program and just wanna get a certificate/diploma from Stanford or something and put it on their resume. The only fellowship where you really learn something novel is pain. The rest you should’ve had enough exposure in residency to be competent enough to practice it, with a little help from your colleagues in the beginning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling most people who do these fellowships come from a mediocre program and just wanna get a certificate/diploma from Stanford or something and put it on their resume. The only fellowship where you really learn something novel is pain. The rest you should’ve had enough exposure in residency to be competent enough to practice it, with a little help from your colleagues in the beginning.

No. They mostly come from what are considered “top” programs.

But they have different priorities and don’t do the same cost/benefit analysis that is typically seen on SDN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Some residents might want to practice in a certain location but have no network connections in that area and would use the fellowship to remedy that. I agree that we all should be able to learn regional blocks without a fellowship.

Some residents might want to practice in a certain location but have no network connections in that area and would use the fellowship to remedy that. I agree that we all should be able to learn regional blocks without a fellowship.

Market is wide open. I’m surprised these fellowship programs can even recruit. Most practices you can go do blocks to your hearts content.

Some residents dont even consider NOT doing a fellowship bc of the culture at their residency institution, and “thats what everyone does.”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Did a regional fellowship at UCSD. It was honestly a huge waste of a year (and rather miserable time). They have a bunch of people that drop out mid-year. If I had to go back in time, I would definitely not have done a regional fellowship. Jobs are so aplenty, and you can learn regional enough in residency and on the job.

Reactions: 2 users
Did a regional fellowship at UCSD. It was honestly a huge waste of a year (and rather miserable time). They have a bunch of people that drop out mid-year. If I had to go back in time, I would definitely not have done a regional fellowship. Jobs are so aplenty, and you can learn regional enough in residency and on the job.

Why did you do it?

True for a few select practices. Don’t really need connections for most jobs nowadays. Connections are still useful to vet the job so you know what you’re getting in to.

Why did you do it?
I thought it made sense to be an "expert" in something. Poor reason as it turns out. Regional just isn't something you need to sacrifice a year in order to proficiently practice.

Also didn't realize that doing a fellowship could actually hurt you for local private practice jobs. If they don't absolutely love you for whatever reason, you'll get badmouthed to the two local groups.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Unless you have a horrible residency regional experience, you’ll have the know how to do a majority of basic blocks. The rest you can learn in practice. What an idiotic loss of peak earning potential. If you explain that to any business person they’ll be baffled. In todays anesthesia job market you can get hired with just a pulse. For 1/1000 anesthesia residency grads it’s the right choice.

One of my classmates is doing a non-accredited regional fellowship at a 'top tier' center in a VHCOL area. 2-3 days in the OR as faculty. They will pay her 130-140k a year with 5-6 weeks of vacation :sour:. I tried my hardest to convince her to drop it but to no avail. What a scam!

One of my classmates is doing a non-accredited regional fellowship at a 'top tier' center in a VHCOL area. 2-3 days in the OR as faculty. They will pay her 130-140k a year with 5-6 weeks of vacation :sour:. I tried my hardest to convince her to drop it but to no avail. What a scam!

I can offer her a non-accredited attending fellowship that will pay her 150k with 8 weeks of vacation and regional experience.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users