pre match community or university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passinggasisfun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so guys I need some feedback what would you guys do if you had the chance to prematch at a mid level community hospsital or would you rather take your chances ago go thru the match. This program is your 3rd choice if you went through the match after two university programs were you rotated and got strong feedback but nothing garanteeed.

Members don't see this ad.

YOu gotta go with your guts... it really depends on what kind of a candidate you are and how likely you are to match in the top 2. What would happen if you don't take the prematch? Would the community program not consider you for their ranklist since you refused the prematch?

Daredevil said:
YOu gotta go with your guts... it really depends on what kind of a candidate you are and how likely you are to match in the top 2. What would happen if you don't take the prematch? Would the community program not consider you for their ranklist since you refused the prematch?

yeah I do not think they would rank me throught he match then.

Members don't see this ad :)
passinggasisfun said:
yeah I do not think they would rank me throught he match then.

I was in a similar situation this interview season. However, the first two programs that offered me pre-match options also gave me reassurance that they would rank me in the regular match if I decided to go that route. I am surprised a program would put you in such a situation with a take this now or never attitude. Ultimately I pre-matched at my fourth choice on my list of 13 which I am very happy with. I am not sure which factors are playing a role in your decision but in my opinion simply because one program is a community and the others are university is not a huge determinant. Unless you are looking to go into a fellowship program which are typically more numerous at the Univeristy programs.

My only suggestion is to put a lot of thought into what will be best for you in the long run and to stick to your guns and not regret either choice.

brisk80 said:
I was in a similar situation this interview season. However, the first two programs that offered me pre-match options also gave me reassurance that they would rank me in the regular match if I decided to go that route. I am surprised a program would put you in such a situation with a take this now or never attitude. Ultimately I pre-matched at my fourth choice on my list of 13 which I am very happy with. I am not sure which factors are playing a role in your decision but in my opinion simply because one program is a community and the others are university is not a huge determinant. Unless you are looking to go into a fellowship program which are typically more numerous at the Univeristy programs.

My only suggestion is to put a lot of thought into what will be best for you in the long run and to stick to your guns and not regret either choice.

yeah i just wonder if gettin a job or fellowship later on will be an issue or not ?

passinggasisfun said:
yeah i just wonder if gettin a job or fellowship later on will be an issue or not ?

i've been wondering about the same thing, but according to jetpropilot, it's not a problem in getting a job... don't know about fellowships, but i figure if it's not pain, the other fellowships are plentiful and noncompetitive. perhaps others more knowledgeable can contribute.

I would figure that if they like me so much that they're willing to offer me a spot OUTSIDE the match, they like me enough to rank me very highly INSIDE the match.

But... I'm a US allo candidate. I don't have the special circumstances that cause programs to offer me spots outside the match. And I've had the opportunity to get much better spots within the match. So in my circumstances I'd stay within it, but I don't know what yours are.