Pre-match strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvd5627

Reaction score
I graduated from AUC and have completed 3 years of residency training. So I'm ECFMG certified and passed USMLE Step 1-3. I've been out of medicine (working in insurance) the last 9 years. I'm going to try to match into a training program 2024. I live by a local hospital that is not FMG friendly. I don't think they have any US students rotating currently. This hospital does have several residencies including two I'd be interested in applying to. I will need recent/new USCE to get 3 LORs. I hope to get a pre-match offer but don't expect it. My question: do people think doing 3-4 rotations at local hospital I'm talking about will be my best chance of getting a pre-match? Or, do people think I should do externships/observerships in 3-4 different places?

Members don't see this ad.

You're presumably 12 years out school and either quit/fired from your prior residency on top of being an IMG. You'd likely need to apply to almost every plausible program in the country to even get a few interviews regardless of doing any new USCEs, even then, it'll be a very uphill battle. A hospital has very little reason to choose someone with that history due to what's mentioned above as well as likely having to provide their own funding for you since every person has limited funding years from when they first did a residency.

You've posted many more details in prior threads: Getting back into medicine

If the program is not IMG friendly, I would not expect much success there.

Not certain I know what you mean by "pre-match". You have some GME training completed, so you could (theoretically) apply for a PGY-2 psych spot which would be outside the match completely. It is perhaps possible that might happen, although psych has become more competitive over the last 10 years so your chances are decreased.

If you mean a PGY-1 spot "pre-match", the match is now all-in. Programs must have ALL of their spots in the match (i.e. no prematch), or none (i.e. all prematch). You'd need to see if there's a suitable program that doesn't participate in the match -- which would mean they would take no US MD or DO candidates.

As mentioned on the other thread, a Preventive Med residency would certainly count your PGY-1, and you'd be able to do an addiction fellowship afterwards if that interests you.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for explanation of pre-matchand reminder about preventive med

i didn't know there were all-out programs. looks like i should spend some time researching these types of programs - do you know how i can go about finding these types of programs? do they decide these things early in the year? eg) by july 2023 for 2024