Pre Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kemc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you accept a pre match offer is that means that you are technically out of the match ????. or can you still weigh your wings in match and then decide ???

Members don't see this ad.

I may be wrong..but my understanding is that accepting a prematch means u sign a contract with the program..that would mean that you are no longer part of the match process

or can you still weigh your wings in match and then decide ???

that would be illegal.. you can be thrown off the match

THANKS!!, just wanted to confirm it. I have no plans of doing this, neither i have any pre match offer at this point. :)

if you are a FMG, you are allowed to sign outside the match if u choose, but u will be told to withdraw from the match (usually before you put the pen to the paper). the contract given to you would usually be empty, and u would have to sign it first before the PD signs it.

beware, ive heard of one extremely rare instance where the program realised they misinterpreted a candidates credentials after the candidate had withdrawn and signed the contract. this program then decided not to sign that contract. that candidate was apparently screwed over cause she had also withdrawn from the match. unfortunately i lost contact with that person and dont know how things were resolved at the end.

if u dont withdraw from the match and decide to participate in it, youre definitely going to be in a fix if u match somewhere. thats because you are obligated to sign on with the place u matched at, and u have already signed a prematch somewhere else. this means you will have to cancel either 1 of the contracts, and consequences should ensue.

risky business. and very selfish as a candidate agaisnt the program u signed a prematch at because they went to the match with one less empty position they could have offered to someone else.

Simple...

Don't withdraw till the program has signed the contract.

if you are a FMG, you are allowed to sign outside the match if u choose, but u will be told to withdraw from the match (usually before you put the pen to the paper). the contract given to you would usually be empty, and u would have to sign it first before the PD signs it.

beware, ive heard of one extremely rare instance where the program realised they misinterpreted a candidates credentials after the candidate had withdrawn and signed the contract. this program then decided not to sign that contract. that candidate was apparently screwed over cause she had also withdrawn from the match. unfortunately i lost contact with that person and dont know how things were resolved at the end.

if u dont withdraw from the match and decide to participate in it, youre definitely going to be in a fix if u match somewhere. thats because you are obligated to sign on with the place u matched at, and u have already signed a prematch somewhere else. this means you will have to cancel either 1 of the contracts, and consequences should ensue.

risky business. and very selfish as a candidate agaisnt the program u signed a prematch at because they went to the match with one less empty position they could have offered to someone else.

Thanks for your detailed reply!
Lesson: One should not withdraw from the match untill prematch is signed by the PD.

if you are a FMG, you are allowed to sign outside the match if u choose, but u will be told to withdraw from the match (usually before you put the pen to the paper).

most programs that offer prematch, PD's wont let you sign on until you have withdrawn from the match (and PD's usually only sign the contract AFTER you have). This is simply because they're going to run into quite a bit of trouble if you, say, sign with them-, dont withdraw from match, match somewhere else and leave them in a ditch (which screams illegal in every language possible).

however the case i quoted where the program stabbed the candidate in the back is a very rare situation (i havent heard of any other ones). and in that case the program somehow missed the fact that that candidate had failed the boards once and only passed second time around. i guess since that program had a decent name they couldnt handle giving out a contract to someone who failed the boards once when there are many other people with "more competitive" applications. still, it doesnt justify what they did.

bottom line is prematch should be strongly considered if they're mutually beneficial. the program wouldnt waste time offering if they didnt want to hire you in the first place. so unless there was a big mistake somewhere on their behalf, they probably wont drop you later. ive heard of hundreds of cases where it went ok.

Just keep every possibility in mind though.