Pre-Matching into Own Program's Child Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siamesekat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess the title says it all.

I'm interested in doing the Child Fellowship at my program that I'm doing my adult at currently. I'm a R3, and well, applications are due just around the corner.

What I'm really interested in would be to bypass all this application whooha and just get a position as a R4 next year as a 1st year child fellow. I want a pre-match and contract for next July. Is it possible for an american grad to do this? I know american grads can't do that for adult straight out of medical school, but what about for fellowships? Isn't that done all the time or no? Thanks for the clarifications!

Members don't see this ad.

It's done all the time for fellowships. Cards at my home school rarely bothers to go through the match process. The R3 candidates are pretty much told 'you're in next year', 'you're in the year after next', or 'don't bother'.

Child psych does this too at many institutions.

child is so insanely non-competitive to get into right now, it's not a problem whatsoever. hell, we had our child program actively recruiting PGY IIIs to try to convert them from their adult aspirations over to child. shouldn't be a problem at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone I know who was a lousy resident got into a top Child program. In fact she was so bad that I was fearing she'd hurt my program's rep there since our last graduate who went to that program was a phenomenal resident & won several awards at our program and theirs.

That just goes to show you how noncompetitive it is as mentioned above. Most fellowships I've seen will save spots for people already in the residency, as it saves time for them to give the FNG time to acquaint themself with the new place and resident is a known quantity.

It would be best to ask your own program director on this.

I saw a resident, who frankly, had difficulty conversing in English, and was constantly berated by attendings. Yet lo and behold, he also ended up getting a child fellowship to one of the top tier schools. Another resident was told he was too lazy, and same story, ended up going for a child fellowship in a top tier program mentioned above. So I can't imagine anyone having a problem with anything related to child fellowships.

Nearly without exception, a resident will attend a "better" program for their child program than their residency if they so choose. I would posit this might also be true for just about every fellowship, but I just don't know enough to say for sure. Forensics and C/L are too small to really generate much in terms of generalizations.

Nearly without exception, a resident will attend a "better" program for their child program than their residency if they so choose. I would posit this might also be true for just about every fellowship, but I just don't know enough to say for sure. Forensics and C/L are too small to really generate much in terms of generalizations.

and it doesn't really apply to the multidisciplinary fellowships either (pain, sleep).