Pre Matriculation Curriculum

Started by mma
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mma

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Folks,

I have two questions here:

1. Does anyone know what schools offer prematriculation courses (a couple of weeks in the summer) for those of us who are old/non-science majors/etc.?

2. Is anyone going to start studying for med school before med school start? If so, what do you think are the main things to look at? (I need help with this one--it just seems like such a vast world of knowledge that I don't even know where to start!)

Thanks for all your help!

😉

mma
 
Most of the schools that do offer prematriculation courses only offer them for their incoming students. The ones that come to mind immediately are UCSD, UT-Houston, and UTMB although I'm sure there are more.

For most people, first semester consists of gross anatomy, cell biology, histology, biochemistry, and embryology. Some people have some physiology in there too. Pick what you feel is your area of weakness. Anatomy and histology may be a little overwhelming to dive right into without any sort of guide so I would probably recommend cell biology or biochemistry instead. However, if you try doing this on your own for a week or so and feel like you're not getting much out of it, I think it's probably better to put the books aside and just enjoy your summer. You'll have to buckle down enough once classes start anyways.
 
Are there any books (text, review) that you all might recommend for studying a little cell bio/bio chem on my own?

Thanks for all your help!

mma