Pre-MCAT Courses?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SIXTHSENSE, Sep 25, 2001.

1. SIXTHSENSE

SIXTHSENSE Junior Member

Can anyone help me with some advice as to how many Bio classes will prepare me for the MCAT? I've heard from some people that the year of general bio will do it, while some other premeds I know are suggesting a few more biochem classes.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. acnikyj

acnikyj Member

one year of bio is all that is necessary. biochem is a chemistry course that you usually take after organic. it is helpful for both the mcats and med school, but not needed to do well. you should take extra bio classes if you have the room in your schedule (genetics, physiology, anatomy, microbiology, etc) because it can only aid you in admissions if you do well, especially if you're a nonscience major.

4. Wednesday

Wednesday Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I thought that physiology was very good to have. There's a lot of it.

5. AtYourCervix

AtYourCervix Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i took one semester of intro bio and kaplan. i scored a 13 on the biosci section of the mcat. i have noticed a trend that people tend to score higher on the biosci section than on others, and i think this is due to it being slightly easier. i wouldnt stress out about cramming a lot of bio in. you certainly do not need biochem to get a good score.

6. SeeGulz

SeeGulz Senior Member

I may be mistaken, but I believe that if you take more bio related courses, you will then be expected to do better than the average MCAT taker on the BS section. In other words, it raises expectations.