Pre-MCAT Courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SIXTHSENSE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with some advice as to how many Bio classes will prepare me for the MCAT? I've heard from some people that the year of general bio will do it, while some other premeds I know are suggesting a few more biochem classes.

Members don't see this ad.

one year of bio is all that is necessary. biochem is a chemistry course that you usually take after organic. it is helpful for both the mcats and med school, but not needed to do well. you should take extra bio classes if you have the room in your schedule (genetics, physiology, anatomy, microbiology, etc) because it can only aid you in admissions if you do well, especially if you're a nonscience major.

I thought that physiology was very good to have. There's a lot of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i took one semester of intro bio and kaplan. i scored a 13 on the biosci section of the mcat. i have noticed a trend that people tend to score higher on the biosci section than on others, and i think this is due to it being slightly easier. i wouldnt stress out about cramming a lot of bio in. you certainly do not need biochem to get a good score.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that if you take more bio related courses, you will then be expected to do better than the average MCAT taker on the BS section. In other words, it raises expectations.