Pre-MD-PhD Sophomore Check-in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HaverfordSquirrel

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I'd be very grateful if I could get a little "check-up" (no pun intended) after my third semester in college. In addition to some *QUICK questions* under this very condensed repertoire, this is what I accomplished so far as a pre-MD-PhD college sophomore:

- Completed 2 years of chemistry (including orgo), 1 year of biology, 1 year of English, 1 semester of psychology, 1 semester of medical sociology. Avg GPA 3.8 at a liberal arts college
- Had a 10-week research experience at a cancer center last summer. Presented research twice since then.
- Started research during the school year in a biochem lab this year.
- Started working as a science peer tutor this year.
- Shadowed surgeons during clinic and surgery cases in winter break for two weeks

Plan to:
- Take statistics junior year
- Take 1 year of physics junior year (in case I do not want a gap year)
- Start hospital volunteering this spring semester
- Work with a local nonprofit for cancer outreach to the hospital I will work in
- Sign up for the one-week spring break service project this year, ran by my school's community service club
- Work in a cancer research lab again for 10 weeks in the upcoming summer

QUESTIONS:
- Is hospital volunteering clinical experience, even if the job is mostly maintenance work such as bedsheets changing, etc.?
- Would it enhance my application if I get phlebotomy or EMT certification for more enriching clinical experiences, or should I focus on research during that time?
- How much clinical experience do I need as a pre-MD-PhD? E.g. should I sacrifice a 10-week summer research internship opportunity for a semi-long-term clinical experience... or is hospital volunteering during the school year enough?
- Any other advice/comments?

Thank you!!
 
Last edited:
should I sacrifice a 10-week summer research internship opportunity for a semi-long-term clinical experience...
NO
or is hospital volunteering during the school year enough?

YES

For MD/PhD, Research is more important by far than clinical exposures. You only need 100-150 hrs of clinical exposures, preferably physician shadowing. EMT certification will be helpful for MD programs, but does little for MD/PhD. Read prior posts and other SDN FAQ resources for MD/PhDs.