Pre-med advising

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dzl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been out of school for about 5 years now and I am seeking some advice on my pre-requisite classes from a pre-med advisor. Who should I go to? My undergraduate advisors, admissions people at med. school? I am also wondering, but this is further in the future, if I need a pre-med committee recommendation, where that would come from.

Members don't see this ad.

You need a committee rec if you can get one. If you can't, collect at least two science and one non-science letter unless you know of specific requirements at the shcools you are applying to. The first stop is your undergrad pre-med advisor, unless they charge you now that it is five years later. Then, just use the web, my advisor hasn't been all that useful.

Hi Dawn,

I would recommend that you use the pre-med advisor at the school where you are going to finish your pre-reqs. I did my additional pre-reqs at three different schools, but one of them had a pre-med advisor and committee who offered to "take me under their wing" so to speak. They wrote committee letters for all my med schools - although only one of my profs was on the committe, so they said that on every letter.

Start a relationship now, and they should help you when the time comes. Good luck!