Pre-Med Advising

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Explosivo

blah!
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question. I've been through this whole application process once before a couple years ago so I pretty much know most of the ins and outs of applying. However, now that I've been out of school for a couple years I don't have access to a pre-med advisor anymore to discuss my application and to help me select which schools I should apply to.

Rumor has it that most pre-med advisors at colleges have a "special" book that only they get which lists some of the inside info on applying to certain medical schools. For example, for some schools it lists MCAT and GPA cut offs for interview among other pieces of information not available to general applicants. There is some guy on another website called medicalgold.com named Gower who is a former pre-med advisor and refers to this book quite a bit so I'm pretty sure it exists.

My question then is where can I go now that I am out of school for pre-med advising? Are any of you who have graduated able to go back for advising to your respective schools? I'd really like to talk with an adviser that has access to this book in addition to talking about other things relating to my app. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hey whats up bro i would suggest talking to the admission director of various schools and only them for your application...nobody else know anything and they will just try to rip you off..there is a lady on Examkrackers.com she gives advice for free and for money and she was the admission director and Ny med for 10 years she has her own websites i know alot about the process also bec i have spoke with at least 7 or 8 different admiss. directors so if you have any specific questions you can email me and i can see if i can answear it.
good luck

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Explosivo:
• Rumor has it that most pre-med advisors at colleges have a "special" book that only they get which lists some of the inside info on applying to certain medical schools. For example, for some schools it lists MCAT and GPA cut offs for interview among other pieces of information not available to general applicants. There is some guy on another website called medicalgold.com named Gower who is a former pre-med advisor and refers to this book quite a bit so I'm pretty sure it exists.
Thanks.•••••I think there is a premed advising manual distributed by the AMCAS. However, I don't know that all of the information you mention is discussed in this book. I think that usually the information you mentioned is performed by scoring with a point system, which is semi-qualitative.

I suggest contacting the premedical advisor at the institution from which your undergraduate degree was awarded for information about the suitability of your application to particular schools. These individuals will be the most familiar with the courses you've taken, and the histories of other applicants who are similiar to you.

Best wishes, M

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Explosivo:
•My question then is where can I go now that I am out of school for pre-med advising? •••••From the front of the MSAR:
"FINDING A PREHEALTH ADVISOR. Students who have difficulty identifying an advisor on their campus should contact the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP) on the Web at <a href="http://www.naahp.org" target="_blank">www.naahp.org</a> . If a student's school does not have a prehealth advisor, volunteer advisors at other institutions can be found. The NAAHP also offers publications to help students prepare for medical school. You can contact NAAHP at the following address:
National Association of Advisors for the Health Profession
P.O. Box 1518, Champaign, IL 61824-1518
(217) 355-0063 - Fax (217) 355-1287
[email protected] "

I just noticed this today, so I have no idea if they're any good. I haven't even gone to the website, but I think I will after I post this.
And remember, you can always ask the SDNers :)
Good luck.
--pocwana

Thanks for the web-site pocwana. I checked it out and indeed that book which I spoke about does exist. It's called the "Premedical Advisor's Reference Manual" and it is only available to pre-med advisors. Apparently you have to sign this waiver to get it:

" I, _____________________, am a prehealth professions advisor at ____________________________ and understand that "this manual is confidential and is available exclusively to active health professions advisors." Both I and other members of my committee should feel free to use it to help advise our students, but I (we) will not place copies in libraries or otherwise make the Manual directly available to our students."

Interesting. Gosh I wish I could get my hands on that thing. In its description it lists pre-screening for interview minimum AND maximum cutoffs and other juicy tidbits of information.