Pre med and fraternity?? Does it happen?

Chemistry>Physics

Puggy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to go through the pledging process and still maintain a strenuous pre med course load with EC's volunteering and work? If you want a 3.8+ GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I was able to do it. It is largely dependent on the fraternity culture that you are joining. My fraternity had 3 hours of required study hours daily during pledge and strong support of underclassmen with test files.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did it. I rushed a huge fraternity (pledge classes had at least 100+ people) in the south and had parties almost every weekend. It's hard to get a good GPA during pledgeship, but it isn't impossible.

Reactions: 1 user
I was able to do it. It is largely dependent on the fraternity culture that you are joining. My fraternity had 3 hours of required study hours daily during pledge and strong support of underclassmen with test files.
That's actually so cool

What frat was this? Was the study time a national requirement?

Completely possible. And as others may have mentioned above, not only is it possible to do well, but some people actually do better with the added commitment during the pledging process. It helps make you delegate your time wisely, plus many fraternities have mandatory study hours that can help out. In fact, most of the guys who pledged in my fraternity at my university ended up getting better GPA's their pledging semester than the previous semester (pledging was done spring semester of freshman year).

What frat was this? Was the study time a national requirement?
I can't speak specifically for fraternities but typically Panhellenic rules for national Greek organizations mandate study time and a certain GPA be maintained to remain a member.

We were required to sign in for study hours and submit semester grades to our national organization.

It's very possible. I took one of my hardest course loads (Orgo, physics, advanced stats, genetics, etc) the same semester I pledged. The fraternity was a large social one that did a LOT of partying, but I was still able to make it out with a GPA over 3. We also had mandatory study hours which helped some, but not that much in the grand scheme of things. The trick is to have impeccable time management and to be able to function on very little sleep lol

Dating will take up more of your time and money than any fraternity will.

I'd say at least a quarter of my classmates, if not more, were members of fraternities. If anything frat guys are overrepresented down the line in med school, as they tend to be motivated, social, and are required to maintain their grades to stay in the frat. It's totally doable.

I did it but let me tell you it was my worst semester academically my GPA was a 3.3 for that semester. I did it sophomore year and was taking 18 credits and was also living in a house with 5 guys so I did not set myself up with the most conducive academic environment.

If your going to do a fraternity do it first or second semester first year, before your classes start getting harder. I would say do it first semester while teachers are still breaking students in from high school. Also don't take anymore than 15 credit hours... I would recommend 12 just cause it's your first semester and you will be pledging.

just know what you are getting yourself into, and the possible outcomes. Every organization, every school, and everyone's experience is different.

Last edited:
it depends on your pledge culture. My sorority hazes, physically, mentally, verbally, and financially. Although we weren't allowed to do anything but pledge and study, the pledging was draining. Most of the free time I had, I had 2 choices - study OR recuperate from the night before so I culd be ready later that night.
In regards to my organization, it was not as much of the time commitment that was the problem, as opposed to the mental toll it takes on you. during that semester many of my pledge sisters ended up in the hospital, car accidents and etc.

just know what you are getting yourself into, and the possible outcomes. Every organization, every school, and everyone's experience is different.
Your school didn't look into all of the "accidents" that occurred in one semester?

Your school didn't look into all of the "accidents" that occurred in one semester?

I went to a large state school 30K+ students, where students went to the hospital or went on medical leave or had car accidents, frequently. Also, most of the incidents occurred off campus, sometimes hours away in different states so unless there was a specific complaint from pledges, there is no 'looking into'

I went to a large state school 30K+ students, where students went to the hospital or went on medical leave or had car accidents, frequently. Also, most of the incidents occurred off campus, sometimes hours away in different states so unless there was a specific complaint from pledges, there is no 'looking into'
This still needs to be looked into. Hell, if your actives had to haze, why do it physically? That leaves evidence, which only begs the question if your sorority "sisters" had half a brain to attempt to keep the chapter alive and not ruin their future?

Agreed with the pledge early thing. You can take easier classes, you will still be adjusting and won't ruin your 'groove', and if you do end up doing poorly that semester it won't look as bad so long as your GPA trends up with medically relevant classes. I did it spring of my freshman year with a fraternity that had notoriously difficult pledging and got a 3.95. Should have been a 4.0 but I made a stupid mistake one a midterm that cost me a lot.

The bigger issue is making sure to keep your priorities straight and not get sucked into the wrong lifestyle with friends after you pledge. It's definitely doable, you've just got to make sure you keep your priorities straight.

I pledged first two years and maintained a good GPA. I also used outlook calander and had amazing time management. A hazing incident got us suspended which later led me to quit , however it was awesome. Have fun in college man , just don't forget to keep your studies your first priority and medical school related ECs as well.

Also so this is what gunners of high school look like hahahaa

The fraternity process itself wont be the problem. Plenty of premeds in fraternities who do fine. Most houses have test files and seniors willing to tutor, etc. Going through a year in a drunken stupor full of parties, happy hours and tailgate parties will be the problem. And for that you don't actually have to pledge.

Reactions: 1 user