Pre-Med Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Bojangles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to one medical school and have to interviews coming up. I am starting to get nervous about if I will do well in medical school or if I really want to be a doctor. When I think about it, I'm sure that I do, and I can't imagine myself doing anything else. Still, there are times when I get nervous and wonder if I'll be able to handle medical school. I was hoping other people had this same problem before starting and that perhaps could calm my fears. Is is normal to be anxious/nervous about succeeding or should I be worried that I am doubting myself? Should I not go to medical school this year if I have these doubts or is this normal?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Over 95% of all students that enter medical school become doctors. Medical school is really hard, but it's even harder to fail out.

You'll be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
I felt like that up to when we took our first exam and I aced it. After that I was like: I'm gonna kill this.
I bet you will feel the same way! Work hard, everything will pay off eventually!
But yeah, definitely have some fun this coming Summer, you've earned it, and it is your last chance to completely relax and have fun for a long...long ...time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I remember the week I was making my move to medical school and even up to the orientation. I was really afraid that I would fail out and disappoint everyone and that I wasn't good enough. So no, it's normal to at times have a sincere fear, and honestly for many students that fear that they might not pass unless they work hard is a motivating factor.

But when it comes down to it medical school is an equation. You put in the time and study and you'll get a passing grade. You'll rarely put in 30 hours of studying for a midterm and then fail it. You might not get your A, but you'll probably be somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone for the replies! It's nice to feel reassured that I'm not alone!

Thanks everyone for the replies! It's nice to feel reassured that I'm not alone!

All I can say is never get too prideful. Always be conscientious of the reality that you need to work hard.

It doesn't go away. I still go into every exam feeling like I'll need to buy a plane ticket home after, but it ends up working out because I put effort into it. Have been scoring quite above average recently as well. Enjoy your time before school and once you start, prepare to put in some time. If you do, you'll be fine.

Over 95% of all students that enter medical school become doctors. Medical school is really hard, but it's even harder to fail out.

You'll be fine.
That's actually sort of wrong. I used to think it was hard to fail out, but truthfully, it's easy if you don't put in the work and the time. At the end of the day, everyone busts their ass and most people make it, but it would be quite easy for one to crash and burn if they didn't put their sweat, blood, and tears into the process.

Reactions: 2 users
That's actually sort of wrong. I used to think it was hard to fail out, but truthfully, it's easy if you don't put in the work and the time. At the end of the day, everyone busts their ass and most people make it, but it would be quite easy for one to crash and burn if they didn't put their sweat, blood, and tears into the process.

I guess it depends on the school but a lot of places will give you second, third, and fourth chances before they kick you out. If you decide to Netflix instead of study, yeah, you'll fail out pretty quickly. Very few students (any?) put forth a sincere effort and don't make it though.

I guess it depends on the school but a lot of places will give you second, third, and fourth chances before they kick you out. If you decide to Netflix instead of studying, yeah, you'll fail out pretty quickly. Very few students (any?) put forth a sincere effort and don't make it.
Usually if you need more than a second chance, your Match is completely ****ed by red flags anyway, so it's not even about just getting kicked out, but also about what happens to your app after such red flag events.

Usually if you need more than a second chance, your Match is completely ****ed by red flags anyway, so it's not even about just getting kicked out, but also about what happens to your app after such red flag events.

Truth.

Always a few undesirable residencies that will take literally anybody, though.

Truth.

Always a few undesirable residencies that will take literally anybody, though.
You'd think, but make enough mistakes, and you'll never match. I know of two such people, one a US MD, one a DO, both of which had several red flags.

I agree. We've set up medical school as this sort of, hey once your in it's all good type thing. Truth is that if you're not putting in the time then you will fail out and sometimes even when you do you might get shafted and find yourself at a 69.999999%.

I mean the good thing is that you'll certainly be more tolerable of the work needed to put into to not fail out or etc after a few months of medical school. But there's no denying that it's certainly not a walk in the park.

I guess it depends on the school but a lot of places will give you second, third, and fourth chances before they kick you out. If you decide to Netflix instead of study, yeah, you'll fail out pretty quickly. Very few students (any?) put forth a sincere effort and don't make it though.

I thought the same thing...but just look at SDN. 2 well known posters left in the past year-ish (maybe 2). I also know of at least 1 that had to add another year cuz of failures...and these are just off the top of my head.

OP, I had the same kind of thoughts when I first got in. I think its normal. That being said, I think its best to convince yourself that with hard work you will pass and do at least average

Having a positive, confident attitude could only help.
Even if you struggle, if you convince yourself that you will graduate (with hard work), you can push yourself to keep going. If you think your going to fail out anyway, it might be harder to keep pushing through.

fear is a great motivator. at least it was for me..

Reactions: 1 users
Find a way to blow off steam/relieve stress.