pre-med at UCSD

pie741

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
would someone who's familiar with the UC please answer. How would you rate the pre-med classes, are they ultra-competitive with students hassling teachers over questions? second, is UCSD well known for admitting alot of their students into med school, give me a rough estimate or percent of students that get into med school that graduate from UCSD. :thumbup:

(ignore the status i'm not pre-med yet, still in enrolled in h.s.)

Members don't see this ad.

Students do not necessarily hassle teachers over questions, but students are generally very competitive. UCs all curve and its pretty killer for freshman year. An A is about top 15-17% of a class out of 450 or so.

EDIT: Also, the reputation of a college is not really a good indication of its ability to get you into med school. The data above really is a reflection of the class make up of those particular years. Your grades and MCAT score are much much more important. In other words, if you are an all star at a state or UC, you are probably going to med school. If you suck, then you won't get into med school.

Last edited:
Hello Pie,

I am currently a third year student at Revelle College, UCSD. I will tell you now that UCSD's undergraduate curriculum is GEARED for premeds. In fact, all your bio classes will be focused on medicine and the human body. Also something to keep in mind is that at UCSD, you only need one quarter of G-chem lab, and one quarter of O-chem lab. Whereas all the other UCs (and cal states) require one full year of lab each. Why is this? Pre-med students could care less about lab techniques. This can be looked as a strength or a weakness. If you want to do research, lab techniques will come in handy. Also at UCSD, our physiology lab works on real cadavers.

Also, they have the major Human Biology B.S. (which is what I am in) which offers classes that directly pertain to what you will be learning in med school, such as pharmacology, medical microbiology, endocrinology, molecular basis of disease. They have a strong pre-med connection with the UCSD school of medicine which holds seminars for us pre-meds.

It is a myth, however, that UCSD favors there undergrads. It is also a myth that being an undergrad is a BAD thing for admissions too. The percentages are high of UCSD undergrads in UCSD-SOM is because many people fall in love in San Diego. Good luck with your journey! I will be happy to answer any more questions you have of UCSD.