Pre-med ChemE?

Narblu

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on going to TAMU for ChemE and then applying for med school. I chose ChemE as a back up plan, incase I cannot get into med school and plus I'll get some prereq courses taken care of. What I need to know is if I can take the other prereq courses at a community college. Would that be fine? Successful med school ChemE individuals please respond.

The next question I pose is: if I do ChemE wouldn't I have to do hospital volunteering during the summer and then the subsequent summer I would have to do an internship for ChemE? In addition, I would like to know how med school and the whole process works (I.e. Med school > internship > residency). I'm very lost on the whole process, I wish to become a neurologist in the end if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there,

A few things - protect your anonymity on this board by changing your avatar. Next, I was a ChemE/Biochem double major in college so I'll try to answer some of your questions. It's fine to take a few pre-reqs at a CC if you don't happen to be able to take them at TAMU but do not take a bunch of them because it will look as if you're trying to protect your GPA (sort of) by not taking the rigorous version of said courses. The biggest downfall with engineering is that it is a very tough major, especially at good engineering schools such as TAMU. What I mean to say is that chemical engineering will definitely give you options if you so choose not to pursue medicine but it will be tough (not impossible) to keep a med school competitive GPA (3.7+). In order to combat this you will need to stay dedicated with your studies from the get go and utilize all your schools resources such as office hrs, tutors, the learning center, older students, friends, youtube, etc.

You can do hospital volunteering at any time that is convenient for you. I usually just did 3-4 hrs a weekend for 2 yrs and racked up a good amount of hrs. You don't have to dedicate a whole summer. Also try to do some non-clinical volunteering and shadow a few types of physicians (40-70 hrs total over a couple different specialties). Make sure you do get some internships as a ChemE or summer research (I did both and enjoyed my time). Depending on if you want to go to med school immediately following UG will dictate when you take the MCAT. If right after, then you would take the MCAT during your Junior year and apply for med school during the summer before your senior year. Once accepted, you would go to med school for 4 yrs (5 if you take a research year) which typically consists of 2 yrs of pre-clinical courses and 2 yrs of clinical clerkships. You would apply for residency at the beginning of the 4th yr and then do residency for 3-5 yrs (depending on the specialty) plus 2-4 yrs of fellowship (sub specialization). I'm glossing over a lot of details but explore SDN and you'll find a lot of helpful resources. Also I would typically advice that you think of taking a gap year(s) after UG to either get more experience, research, etc. and just enjoy life a bit before committing to medicine. Hopefully this helps give you some idea of the process. Enjoy the college experience and don't stress yourself out too much about pre-med stuff. Keep a good GPA and learn all you can, you can always get the appropriate ECs (extracurriculars) after UG if that will be less stressful (that's what I ended up doing). Good luck!

Hey there,

A few things - protect your anonymity on this board by changing your avatar. Next, I was a ChemE/Biochem double major in college so I'll try to answer some of your questions. It's fine to take a few pre-reqs at a CC if you don't happen to be able to take them at TAMU but do not take a bunch of them because it will look as if you're trying to protect your GPA (sort of) by not taking the rigorous version of said courses. The biggest downfall with engineering is that it is a very tough major, especially at good engineering schools such as TAMU. What I mean to say is that chemical engineering will definitely give you options if you so choose not to pursue medicine but it will be tough (not impossible) to keep a med school competitive GPA (3.7+). In order to combat this you will need to stay dedicated with your studies from the get go and utilize all your schools resources such as office hrs, tutors, the learning center, older students, friends, youtube, etc.

You can do hospital volunteering at any time that is convenient for you. I usually just did 3-4 hrs a weekend for 2 yrs and racked up a good amount of hrs. You don't have to dedicate a whole summer. Also try to do some non-clinical volunteering and shadow a few types of physicians (40-70 hrs total over a couple different specialties). Make sure you do get some internships as a ChemE or summer research (I did both and enjoyed my time). Depending on if you want to go to med school immediately following UG will dictate when you take the MCAT. If right after, then you would take the MCAT during your Junior year and apply for med school during the summer before your senior year. Once accepted, you would go to med school for 4 yrs (5 if you take a research year) which typically consists of 2 yrs of pre-clinical courses and 2 yrs of clinical clerkships. You would apply for residency at the beginning of the 4th yr and then do residency for 3-5 yrs (depending on the specialty) plus 2-4 yrs of fellowship (sub specialization). I'm glossing over a lot of details but explore SDN and you'll find a lot of helpful resources. Also I would typically advice that you think of taking a gap year(s) after UG to either get more experience, research, etc. and just enjoy life a bit before committing to medicine. Hopefully this helps give you some idea of the process. Enjoy the college experience and don't stress yourself out too much about pre-med stuff. Keep a good GPA and learn all you can, you can always get the appropriate ECs (extracurriculars) after UG if that will be less stressful (that's what I ended up doing). Good luck!
Would it be fine if I started doing hospital volunteering this summer (before my freshman year at TAMU), and then next summer instead of during semesters? I don't think I'd be able to keep up with my academics if I did it during college. Also, how many hours do you usually need for volunteering? Thanks for the warning on the avatar by the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be fine if I started doing hospital volunteering this summer (before my freshman year at TAMU), and then next summer instead of during semesters? I don't think I'd be able to keep up with my academics if I did it during college. Also, how many hours do you usually need for volunteering? Thanks for the warning on the avatar by the way!

You can certainly volunteer in the summers, though you may need to pick up some hrs once you're further down the college path (junior or senior) to show continued dedication. As for hrs people tend to have anywhere from 100-200+ which is usually good enough (I ended up having around 250 over a 2 yr period).

You can certainly volunteer in the summers, though you may need to pick up some hrs once you're further down the college path (junior or senior) to show continued dedication. As for hrs people tend to have anywhere from 100-200+ which is usually good enough (I ended up having around 250 over a 2 yr period).
I guess I'll finish my prereqs during freshman and sophomore year and commit to volunteering junior or senior year + this summer. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
No problem!
just as an update: I believe I'll be taking most of my bio prereqs at a cc, and the rest of my prereqs is taken cared of under my ChemE degree. Is that fine?

just as an update: I believe I'll be taking most of my bio prereqs at a cc, and the rest of my prereqs is taken cared of under my ChemE degree. Is that fine?

If you take 2 or 3 courses at CC that should be fine. Though you may then need to take higher level bio courses at TAMU to show that you weren't avoiding bio at your primary institution. Why do you think you won't be able to take your bio pre-reqs at your college?

If you take 2 or 3 courses at CC that should be fine. Though you may then need to take higher level bio courses at TAMU to show that you weren't avoiding bio at your primary institution. Why do you think you won't be able to take your bio pre-reqs at your college?
It seems pretty hectic to me, I might just take one extra semester that's solely focused on bio. I've planned my schedule and there's no way to fit in a biology course without overdoing everything. However, I even might just do biology lectures during the summer and labs during the semesters!

It seems pretty hectic to me, I might just take one extra semester that's solely focused on bio. I've planned my schedule and there's no way to fit in a biology course without overdoing everything. However, I even might just do biology lectures during the summer and labs during the semesters!

That's fine. Take as much time as necessary to do well in everything.