jaycornonthecob

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
my dream school is UCS B

I always wanted to become a doctor mostly neurosurgeon. recently I was interested in chemE, and thought I will apply to some schools chemE such as UT austin and alabama
since I am in state I will apply most UC for premed.
I wasn't planning on applying to ucsb
however I went on a tour recently and loved it. the only thing I dont like is that maybe there is 2 much parties.
I also learned it has a really strong chemical engineering program and maybe I can apply to some more chemE schools such as ucsb
however I read threads and they say how ucsb is great for premed as well ex) bio and biochem
I was intending on doing ucsd uci UCD and ucr as biochem and ucsb as chemE
now I am thinking I should do ucsb bio/biochem instead with premed focus
what should I do for UCSB? chemE or premed track bio major
if i get accepted as chemE can i switch to bio later or is it impacted? vice versa?
is chemE premed too hard? or shud i do just premed or just chemE?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too hard if you're willing to work very hard. You'll definitely have a harder time keeping a soldier GPA (3.7+) but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Just make sure that you like the major - so if that means trying it out for a few semesters then so be it.

so if i start as chemE at UCSB and take some bio and chem classes and think I'm good at it, is it possible to switch into biochem or psychobio or bio majors?
is it hars to switch from engineering to bio or vice versa?
is bio at UCSb impacted?
how hard is premed chemE at Ucsb?

It is usually easy to switch out of engineering, switching in is harder at some schools. Engineering is usually a difficult area of study to maintain a high (3.7+) GPA in, but it can be done by the brilliant and hard working outliers.

I would probably start in ChemE because you find it interesting and it is a great backup degree if you decide against medical school, and only worry about switching out if you are finding it too difficult.