Pre-Med Committee Interview Tomorrow -Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tch001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interview tomorrow at 3 :eek: I'm a little nervous! I'm wearing my interview suit, and bringing a resume to hand out to all the profs. I've practiced answering some of the standard questions (why do you want to go to med school? Tell us about your research, ect.) but I tend to babble... Is there anything else should I do to prepare? Any words or wisdom for things you wish you'd done/said during yours? Anything I definitely should NOT say?

Members don't see this ad.

tch001 said:
Interview tomorrow at 3 :eek: I'm a little nervous! I'm wearing my interview suit, and bringing a resume to hand out to all the profs. I've practiced answering some of the standard questions (why do you want to go to med school? Tell us about your research, ect.) but I tend to babble... Is there anything else should I do to prepare? Any words or wisdom for things you wish you'd done/said during yours? Anything I definitely should NOT say?
The pre-med committee interview is a time, like during a medical interview, where you showcase that you're human and not a robot. It's also a time to bring to the surface anything that may not be evident from your records.

Try to be relaxed and as CHelium said, they won't write anything too bad. The majority of the time, they write a letter that reflects your strong points. Just try not to be condescending or overtly arrogant.

My best advice is to be yourself. You want your letter to reflect who you truly are. In essence, you want your committee letter to reflect who you are on paper as well as in person during a medical interview. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be honest, humble and show pride in your acheivements. They're going to ask you why you want to practice medicine, so have an answer for that which is somewhere between "I want to help people" and sounding like you're mother theresa. In general, make sure that your answers to any question they ask reveal your personality, and not what you think the "right answer" is. Finally, relax, it's only your pre-med committee. Hope that helps

I'd avoid bringing up politics, religion, or anything where your views may risk offending someone. If they come up, answer the question in a way that shows that you have an understanding of both sides and states your personal beliefs without belittling the other side.

Thanks guys, I just got back and it went REALLY well. I was just my dorky self, and all the profs said I did a great job, and they couldn't think of anything in my interviewing skills to improve! :D