Pre-med Fraternity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrdinaryDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to search for a similar thread but I had no luck. I have heard about "Pre-Med" fraternities and of course a fraternity I am sure will do a ton of activities and study groups, not to mention I would guess the living enviroment would be quite nice and living around other dedicated students would keep the drive for success and enthusiasm up. either way I would like to join a fraternity but if pre-med fraternities exist it would make the decision so much easier. So fire away with the replies, anyone else interested, know of any or have experiences they would like to share? Any response is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I know there are pre-med frats.

Yea, they exist. I know one thats pretty big, Phi Delta Epsilon.

http://www.phide.org/

But keep in mind that this is a frat (party party party), these people probably aren't into sitting around and chatting about classes or the healthcare reform. And they will think you are a massive tool if all you talk about is how excited you are for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think i would get sick being around other pre-meds...

I already despise them when they're in my class, they just never shut up and blatantly want people to know they are "premed" it's disgusting.

Every single time......

Professor: "whats your major?"

idiot kid: "Pre-med"

It already despise them when they're in my class, they just never shut up and blatantly want people to know they are "premed" it's disgusting.

Every single time......

Oh yeah, I already could tell I would be annoyed at orientation. OP, just go to rush week and check out what frat you might want to join. I'm gunning for the frat that requires you to be cut to join.:D

The premed frats, in my school atleast, don't have their own houses. They are essentially clubs that take more of your time. They provide opportunities for research, say if a graduating brother is leaving the lab they will recommend you. You get to do volunteering with them, the older brothers will give you good advice on extracurriculars, they often have testbanks, and you make some friends. This is what I've gleaned from my stint at rushing a premed frat. I didn't like it so much, the bros seemed rather toolish so I decided to pledge the community service frat.

I already despise them when they're in my class, they just never shut up and blatantly want people to know they are "premed" it's disgusting.

Every single time......

:laugh: It's so annoying. I just say Biology...because that's my major.

I tried to search for a similar thread but I had no luck. I have heard about "Pre-Med" fraternities and of course a fraternity I am sure will do a ton of activities and study groups, not to mention I would guess the living enviroment would be quite nice and living around other dedicated students would keep the drive for success and enthusiasm up. either way I would like to join a fraternity but if pre-med fraternities exist it would make the decision so much easier. So fire away with the replies, anyone else interested, know of any or have experiences they would like to share? Any response is greatly appreciated.

What is the point? OP you do not need others to help you find positions in volunteering,research, or any other endeavor for that matter. Rely upon yourself, after all that is what the medical school environment most likely will be like. Self motivation is key

Pre-med fraternities are often very similar to pre-health organizations, often organizing blood drives and group volunteering. Alpha Epsilon Delta (AED) is a common one.

But keep in mind that this is a frat (party party party), these people probably aren't into sitting around and chatting about classes or the healthcare reform. And they will think you are a massive tool if all you talk about is how excited you are for medical school.

As someone who's in a fraternity, I can safely say this isn't the case.

Don't be so naive and judgmental about something until you've tried it out yourself.

If you're going to join a frat, join a drinking frat. Just make sure you leave time for schoolwork and for other ECs.

Lol the opinions are so diverse. I have self motivation, and in class I definintly do not claim Pre-Med....god no. I claim biochem. I was just LOOKING into fraternities for potential options. I don't wanna party all the time. This thread was for pure knowledge and learning about experiences and possibly which different frats have what to offer. But thank you all.

I don't really see the point of joining a frat for any reason other than drinking or socializing, but to be fair, my undergrad didn't have frats or sororities. My post-bacc school did but I didn't know much about them. I'd join another club or organization on campus instead of a frat.

I know this frat...worst thing ever :thumbdown: They go 'volunteering' once a month, and the rest of their meetings and whatnot is all about partying and getting drunk. Would not recommend it :thumbdown: Most of the people in this frat have low GPAs/low MCAT scores. It's a joke!

Besides, when it comes to med-school admissions..they know JACK. :laugh:

If you're going to join, make sure you know what you're going to get yourself into, cuss this frat on our campus is redic

Members don't see this ad :)
I joined the pre-health fraternity (co-ed) at my school, Delta Epsilon Mu, and loved it. We are a dry fraternity so none of our "official" socials involved alcohol. It kept me busy by being required to do a set amount of activities a month (socials, volunteer events, and fundraisers) and is a great way to get leadership experience by becoming an officer. At least of the members at my school, few were gunners who obviously stood out for wanting just a resume booster. Most members just were a support system for gaining class and application insight, forming study groups/tutors, and a circle of friends going for the same career goal. I'm rambling now but I say if your school has one, definitely go out to their rush and try it out. I know for MCAT and applying to schools last cycle it helped a ton to have others going through it with you, and others who already went through it.

Raisenbran:11406875 said:
I joined the pre-health fraternity (co-ed) at my school, Delta Epsilon Mu, and loved it. We are a dry fraternity so none of our "official" socials involved alcohol. It kept me busy by being required to do a set amount of activities a month (socials, volunteer events, and fundraisers) and is a great way to get leadership experience by becoming an officer. At least of the members at my school, few were gunners who obviously stood out for wanting just a resume booster. Most members just were a support system for gaining class and application insight, forming study groups/tutors, and a circle of friends going for the same career goal. I'm rambling now but I say if your school has one, definitely go out to their rush and try it out. I know for MCAT and applying to schools last cycle it helped a ton to have others going through it with you, and others who already went through it.

That is exactly what I was look for. I will look into it.

Most of the guys who joined the pre-med frat at my school saw their GPAs drop considerably after joining, ironically undermining their chances for medical school.

I was wondering about this too. It sounds like a good idea, surrounding yourself with people similar goals. One of the biggest problems I had was that most of my friends don't have to study as much, leading to them trying to get me to go out when I had to study.

I know this frat...worst thing ever :thumbdown: They go 'volunteering' once a month, and the rest of their meetings and whatnot is all about partying and getting drunk. Would not recommend it :thumbdown: Most of the people in this frat have low GPAs/low MCAT scores. It's a joke!

Besides, when it comes to med-school admissions..they know JACK. :laugh:

If you're going to join, make sure you know what you're going to get yourself into, cuss this frat on our campus is redic
This is strange to me, because the other major premed fraternity AED (http://www.nationalaed.org) is the complete opposite. It's not a social fraternity at all, and as others said is more of a club-type association where you attend random meetings about volunteering and medical school admissions.

I know you asked about pre-med fraternities, but I thought you would like to know some information from someone in an IFC social fraternity. First and foremost, the stereotype of drunken debauchery does exist, but it's not the only thing that fraternities offer. In fact, in my fraternity, there is leadership program called LEAD, and it basically requires us to attend workshops to help improve our leadership skills every couple of months. These workshops combined with a variety of officer positions have helped me grow tremendously. A fraternity is also a business, and having to hold an officer position, kinda gives you an idea on what leading 50+ men feels like. It provides you with a testing ground and helps you figure out what things work as a leader and what things don't. I believe sharpening your skills and growing as a leader are one of the most important things to do, because as a physician you will be the leader and understanding how to lead a team is of up most importance. If you want to know more about Greek life, feel free to ask me more questions.

This is highly variable. It depends on things like, if the chapter owes any money to national, how many members are in it, and how much that chapter wants to spend. Another variable is what tier a particular chapter is at. The more risk the chapter is at of closing , the higher tier and more money the chapter has to pay to national. On my campus, the average for dues is somewhere in the range of 500-700 per semester. This fall it will be 500 for my fraternity because we're out of debt, a lower tier, and we recently activated a lot of members =P.

Coming from a Greek... it's actually a terrible idea to ask for advice about specific GLOs on the internet because even among the same GLO, the culture can vary drastically from chapter to chapter. For instance my sorority has a huge party chapter at this one state university, but my chapter is a lot more subdued and most of the sisters are very motivated academically. Similarly, the same pre-med frat might be totally useless and irresponsible on one campus and a paragon of resourcefulness and support on another, and there's really no way to tell except by going to rush and meeting the brothers in person to see what they're like.

Make sure that you really look at how they interact with one another, because the atmosphere in the GLO is really important (and hard to change). Pre-meds tend to be very very individualistic, which can harm the organisation's interests when you're trying to throw events around midterms, finals, MCAT season, etc. etc. so watch out for that too. Really not worth it to go through all of pledging and such for just another volunteering/networking organisation.

Does it interfere w/ schoolwork? The only reason I don't think I could join a frat is if the money is too much and if I can;t handle it plus 19 cr.

It depends on the chapter. As for me, my fraternity allows you to skip any event if it goes against your school or work schedule.

So far I have concluded that it is best if I join an organization or a group of some sort that has to do with Pre-Med, volunteering, leadership roles and so on. This is something I was wanting to do no matter what. Leadership is keen for me and anything with leadership helps me with my confidence and I love the feeling =] any other ideas?

How much are dues?
This.
I really don't see much of a point joining some frat that makes you pay for things you could have done yourself: volunteering, socializing ...etc... Pre health clubs are the best option. I wasn't in one but a friend was and they seem to do some real activities.
Is there really premed frat? I wasn't even aware of that when I was in school. Either way after seeing some ridiculous threads made by some "pre med" on SDN, I cringe at the thought of having to be around some of those people.

This.
I really don't see much of a point joining some frat that makes you pay for things you could have done yourself: volunteering, socializing ...etc... Pre health clubs are the best option. I wasn't in one but a friend was and they seem to do some real activities.
Is there really premed frat? I wasn't even aware of that when I was in school. Either way after seeing some ridiculous threads made by some "pre med" on SDN, I cringe at the thought of having to be around some of those people.

Lol so true, I enjoy talking about the future of Pre-Med and feeling the hype of Medical school (even though it is hell on earth I have come to understand =\.) But I am starting to think an organization is really all I am interested in. But the involvement in a fraternity would make for a great experience, I'm not here to "gun people down" haha, just to know as much as possible because my odds are tough to weigh against. I have to work hard, natural smarts only get me so far, memorization is not my style so it takes me longer to LEARN the information.