Pre-Med interested in Military Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1030770

I will be applying to med. school this current or upcoming cycle and am interested in military medicine. How would I go about enrolling in a program, how much of my tuition would the military pay for, and how long would the commitment be? I honestly have no idea where to start so any links or websites that give more info. would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There are multiple pathways to do military medicine.

Probably the most direct is through USU, which covers everything, and you are active duty at the time. This commiement is commonly understood as 7 years active plus 8 years reserve.

Then there are various scholarships that you obtain once you are accepted into medical school, such as HPSP, HPCP. These typically are 4 year commitment scholarships, but can vary based on when you get them. Talking to any recruiter of any branch can give you more information as well.

Finally, there a plethora of ways in after/during residency, such as FAP. All of these pathways are discussed in the link below. I think this blog is one of the best in the military. Schofer is a concientious updater of information.

If you have questions about a specific pathway, let us know.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are multiple pathways to do military medicine.

Probably the most direct is through USU, which covers everything, and you are active duty at the time. This commiement is commonly understood as 7 years active plus 8 years reserve.

Then there are various scholarships that you obtain once you are accepted into medical school, such as HPSP, HPCP. These typically are 4 year commitment scholarships, but can vary based on when you get them. Talking to any recruiter of any branch can give you more information as well.

Finally, there a plethora of ways in after/during residency, such as FAP. All of these pathways are discussed in the link below. I think this blog is one of the best in the military. Schofer is a concientious updater of information.

If you have questions about a specific pathway, let us know.
Thank you for the info. I will make sure and look through all these links.

I will be applying to med. school this current or upcoming cycle and am interested in military medicine. How would I go about enrolling in a program, how much of my tuition would the military pay for, and how long would the commitment be? I honestly have no idea where to start so any links or websites that give more info. would be greatly appreciated.

Here's all the info you could ever want for the Navy:

More of a response in terms of your reasoning for inquiring about the military route. These responses above obviously have a lot of info on the how to of getting into military medicine. But you also need to consider the why you want to (which I'm sure you have and/are doing).

Before you make any final decisions, make sure you really want to serve in the military AND be a physician. Try not to look at just the $ (or lack thereof in terms of decreased pay and decreased loans). There are major issues with practicing medicine in the military such as administrative burden (soul sucking) and potential for deployment. But you also have the potential to live in some cool places that you wouldn’t otherwise live and serve with great people and care for great people. Just cautioning you to look beyond the loans. If it’s only about the money, you’ll make plenty to pay back loans going civilian. If you have a true passion to serve in the military, then go for it.

When you get accepted into a medical school, whether it is MD or DO - you can then apply for an HPSP scholarship, when accepted, can get everything paid for. Everything as in all books, medical equipment, room & board, food money, monthly stipend and health insurance. There are definitely pros and cons of joining military medicine. Please take a few days to peruse all the old links on this site written by past members. Expectation management is key to happiness and future success. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
More of a response in terms of your reasoning for inquiring about the military route. These responses above obviously have a lot of info on the how to of getting into military medicine. But you also need to consider the why you want to (which I'm sure you have and/are doing).

Before you make any final decisions, make sure you really want to serve in the military AND be a physician. Try not to look at just the $ (or lack thereof in terms of decreased pay and decreased loans). There are major issues with practicing medicine in the military such as administrative burden (soul sucking) and potential for deployment. But you also have the potential to live in some cool places that you wouldn’t otherwise live and serve with great people and care for great people. Just cautioning you to look beyond the loans. If it’s only about the money, you’ll make plenty to pay back loans going civilian. If you have a true passion to serve in the military, then go for it.
I am for sure going to do some really deep research into the subject. I have a cousin who is a military Doc so I am for sure going to talk to him also.

Reactions: 1 user