Sep 1, 2015
Hello all.

I wanted to know more about being involved internationally.

I am fairly new to this, but I wanted to try volunteering/interning somewhere outside of the U.S.. I think it might teach me a lot. Is this relevant if I am planning to study in the U.S.?

Further questions:
1. Are undergraduate opportunities offered by current school the best options?
2. What is up with ISA Study Abroad? Is it legit?
3. What programs should I start looking at to determine my interests in medicine?

Finally, should I be thinking about this after MCAT? Am I on the right track?

I hope I can hear about your experiences if you are willing to share.

tea guzzling traveler

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
As someone who went the international direction, remember above all to have significant experience in the US as well (including clinical experience). That comes first. International experience can be a nice bonus, can teach you a lot/ be personally edifying, but does not replace and only supplements that.

No idea on specifics, but make sure that the ethics of the program are legit, and if it's medically related that you are acting within your scope of practice.

Also, figure out whether medicine is right for you or not before the MCAT. It will give you more motivation in the case that you do decide to join the profession and save you a lot of stress in case you don't. Shadow first!

OP
R
Sep 1, 2015
As someone who went the international direction, remember above all to have significant experience in the US as well (including clinical experience). That comes first. International experience can be a nice bonus, can teach you a lot/ be personally edifying, but does not replace and only supplements that.

No idea on specifics, but make sure that the ethics of the program are legit, and if it's medically related that you are acting within your scope of practice.

Also, figure out whether medicine is right for you or not before the MCAT. It will give you more motivation in the case that you do decide to join the profession and save you a lot of stress in case you don't. Shadow first!
Thank you for the advice.