Pre-med Jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daisy225

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a job for premed students that pays? Im only looking for something to do over the summer.

Info on me:
I just finished my freshman year
My only experience in the hospital was volunteer work as a clerk.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be restricting your options a lot looking for something med/hospital related. It's fine to have a typical unrelated summer job (lifeguard, wait tables, scoop ice cream that kind of thing). You can still build your app with volunteering and shadowing.

For future summers you might want to apply for a summer research program that gives you housing/living $$.

Reactions: 1 user
My premed jobs included road construction, janitor, game day sporting setup, lab worker, TA and then an instructor. I also started a small business while in undergrad selling aquarium plants. No need to limit yourself to healthcare jobs. These were way more interesting to talk about during interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My premed jobs included road construction, janitor, game day sporting setup, lab worker, TA and then an instructor. I also started a small business while in undergrad selling aquarium plants. No need to limit yourself to healthcare jobs. These were way more interesting to talk about during interviews.

Agreed re: jobs not needing to relate to healthcare. You'll still learn skills relevant to medicine! I spent a few summers as a camp counselor which was awesome.

How well did you do in school running a small business? Im planning to run a small venture when i start this fall, but idk how it will affect my studies.

How well did you do in school running a small business? Im planning to run a small venture when i start this fall, but idk how it will affect my studies.
I think it depends on the time requirements. Mine took about 10-15 hours per week shipping and packing, handling the aquarium plants and making sure the aquarium was good to go. Totally doable. For med school I dropped the online sales and just do craigslist and selling to local fish stores.

Can anyone recommend a job for premed students that pays? Im only looking for something to do over the summer.

Info on me:
I just finished my freshman year
My only experience in the hospital was volunteer work as a clerk.

Be a tutor! (If you kicked ass in a particular subject that you took during your freshman year)

I worked as a CNA at a nursing home last summer. I got paid and got ~300 hours of clinical experience. Most nursing homes are desperate and are more than willing to hire you seasonly. You generally need to get certified, so a job right away may not be possible for this summer. But if you're looking for a job that doubles up as clinical work, it's a fairly easy option. It's definitely hard work, but it's generally well regarded because of that!

You'll be restricting your options a lot looking for something med/hospital related. It's fine to have a typical unrelated summer job (lifeguard, wait tables, scoop ice cream that kind of thing). You can still build your app with volunteering and shadowing.

For future summers you might want to apply for a summer research program that gives you housing/living $$.
That is true Ill take your ideas into consideration and try to limit my options finding a job. Getting someone to shadow maybe easy considering i ave a family member who is a doctor