Pre-Med looking to get into Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncmatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody.

Currently applying to medical school but so far not looking so good. My top two schools (UNC and WFU) both rejected me and I have a bad feeling about the other 10 schools. And now I'm looking into pharmacy school (since medical and pharmacy have always been an interest to me).

My question relates to required courses. my undergraduate courses never included micro/macro economics, religion, and maybe like one other course that is required for (in particular) UNC Pharmacy.

Though I do have both a Biology BS and Chemistry BA degree. Is all I have to do is take and ace the PCAT and apply? or do I really have to go back to school to take those courses...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
NCMATT

Members don't see this ad.

While having a degree (and two in your case) will definetely help in the admissions process for you, yes you will need to go back and take those courses. They are required for the pharmacy school, so they will look to see that you have those classes completed before you matriculate into their school.

Alot of people now are taking the minimum required pre-reqs for entry into pharmacy school, so having the degree will help in this area. But if you lacked whatever classe(s) that are needed to the various pharm schools you applying to, than these will have to be made up.

This still shouldn't deter you from getting the best score possible on the PCAT though.

To add...

Be sure to look into each particular pharmacy school you applying to, because some have specific requirements about when you should have these pre-req classes completed.

For me, at least one of the schools I am applying to requires that I have all math and science courses completed by the Spring semester before the fall when I would matriculate. For other classes that are not science or math, it is acceptable that they be completed at least by that summer term before Fall.

Just a warning....

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year UNC waived those courses if you had a degree, so something to check up on. Sounds like you need to do some work looking up what is required of you on school's websites. They all have different requirements.

Last year UNC waived those courses if you had a degree, so something to check up on. Sounds like you need to do some work looking up what is required of you on school's websites. They all have different requirements.

Guess that's why you're the pharmacy student and I'm not. :D

Thanks for proving me wrong. But you're right, look into your specific school. I guess I am speaking more for Texas schools since that is all i'm sending applications to.

Are you a NC resident? if you are not its pretty much impossible to get into UNC anything...(especially Medical and Dental...NOT sure about pharmacy but I would guess pharmacy too)

If you are a NC resident then try applying to ECU medical...I heard its a very easy school to get into...I know someone that got a 28 on the MCAT and got in!!:eek:

Lastly, if medicine is what you are really interested in don't settle for something else. I know I won't...Just reapply and retake the MCAT if you have to! good luck! :D

Are you a NC resident? if you are not its pretty much impossible to get into UNC anything...(especially Medical and Dental...NOT sure about pharmacy but I would guess pharmacy too)

If you are a NC resident then try applying to ECU medical...I heard its a very easy school to get into...I know someone that got a 28 on the MCAT and got in!!:eek:

Lastly, if medicine is what you are really interested in don't settle for something else. I know I won't...Just reapply and retake the MCAT if you have to! good luck! :D

If your looking into medicine and your GPA and MCAT is half decent ... I would go with a DO. However, if you want the stability of a degree that will provide you with a living and have more time to apply, I would go with pharmacy despite what some may say. I would rather have a doctorate/ fallback than an MS... although some med schools may not see it that way.

If your looking into medicine and your GPA and MCAT is half decent ... I would go with a DO. However, if you want the stability of a degree that will provide you with a living and have more time to apply, I would go with pharmacy despite what some may say. I would rather have a doctorate/ fallback than an MS... although some med schools may not see it that way.

:laugh: I have NEVER and will NEVER want anything to do with medical school.:laugh: I took the practice Kaplan MCAT and made a 34, but thats about all I did for med school...will never do it and think people are crazy for wanting it. :laugh:

I was talking about the OP. If medicine is what he wants he shouldn't just settle for something else b/c he "thinks" he can't get in....Honestly there are just some medical schools out there that aren't even that hard to get into...like ECU for example.

:laugh: I have NEVER and will NEVER want anything to do with medical school.:laugh: I took the practice Kaplan MCAT and made a 34, but thats about all I did for med school...will never do it and think people are crazy for wanting it. :laugh:

I was talking about the OP. If medicine is what he wants he shouldn't just settle for something else b/c he "thinks" he can't get in....Honestly there are just some medical schools out there that aren't even that hard to get into...like ECU for example.
Well i would not go as far as saying they are crazy. It is actually very admirable. It is not for everyone so if the OP thinks it is for him, i don't see why he would sort change himself. He should try telling adcoms that he is applying to their pharm school because he did not get into med school. It will not go over very well. There are many paths to med school; there is DO on top of MD, which has more forgiving admissions standards.

To the OP let pharmacy school for people who would like to become pharmacists. Apply again next year don't give up just because you are not admitted one year.

Yeah I'd stay with medicine if that is what your goal has been. Don't change you whole career plans just because of your current situation. Physicians and pharmacists are 2 completely different titles and job descriptions, even though they're related under the health field. Try out for ECU (maybe even Duke?) and see where it takes you. And if you don't get in this round, take the next year to improve your stats and go for UNC again; they take a large majority of in-staters...and love students from different NC campuses or universities.

You all have been a great help, and I appreciate it deeply.

As background, and to answer a few of your questions, I am a NC resident and yes I am applying to ECU among others. The list so far goes...

1. Emory -under review
  2. FIU -under review
  3. Morehouse -under review
  4. ECU -under review
  5. Tulane -under review
  6. UMDNJ -under review
  7. RWJMS -under review
  8. university of central florida -withdrew
  9. Maryland
  10. UNC -DENIED
  11. WFU -DENIED
  12. Drexel -under review
  13. DUke -under review
my ECs are
2 publications, 4+ years research , ~280 hrs of hospital volunteer - direct patient/doctor care, currently working in lab. TA, tutor, Supplemental instructor for ORGO 1, 2, Biochem, Chem inorganic, Chem quantitative, various research awards, research scholarships, and finally dual degree major B.S. Biology and B.A. Chemistry (both magna cumme laude.)

I've wanted to become a doctor for the longest but it's just my stats....well my MCATs that just did not keep up with me. (FYI first mcat 26L....2 years later...25R..) <--each time spent ~8 hours a day for about 3-6 months. (not an exaggeration)

I haven't entirely ruled out Medical school, but the thought of having to go through so much studying again for a 5-6hour test, it's just scary especially since I have logged in atleast +1000 hours of studying, over 26 practice tests (each about 4-5 hours long), and countless upon countless flashcards. (and that is no exaggeration at all).

Sorry for boring you all, It feels good to vent under a pseudonym. Anyways hopefully I'll have some better luck with the other schools. I hope I get in somewhere and not have to spend another year trying to get in. Wish me luck, and I'll update you all on how it goes.

Again thanks for all your help!!

You all have been a great help, and I appreciate it deeply.

As background, and to answer a few of your questions, I am a NC resident and yes I am applying to ECU among others. The list so far goes...

1. Emory -under review
  2. FIU -under review
  3. Morehouse -under review
  4. ECU -under review
  5. Tulane -under review
  6. UMDNJ -under review
  7. RWJMS -under review
  8. university of central florida -withdrew
  9. Maryland
  10. UNC -DENIED
  11. WFU -DENIED
  12. Drexel -under review
  13. DUke -under review
my ECs are
2 publications, 4+ years research , ~280 hrs of hospital volunteer - direct patient/doctor care, currently working in lab. TA, tutor, Supplemental instructor for ORGO 1, 2, Biochem, Chem inorganic, Chem quantitative, various research awards, research scholarships, and finally dual degree major B.S. Biology and B.A. Chemistry (both magna cumme laude.)

I've wanted to become a doctor for the longest but it's just my stats....well my MCATs that just did not keep up with me. (FYI first mcat 26L....2 years later...25R..) <--each time spent ~8 hours a day for about 3-6 months. (not an exaggeration)

I haven't entirely ruled out Medical school, but the thought of having to go through so much studying again for a 5-6hour test, it's just scary especially since I have logged in atleast +1000 hours of studying, over 26 practice tests (each about 4-5 hours long), and countless upon countless flashcards. (and that is no exaggeration at all).

Sorry for boring you all, It feels good to vent under a pseudonym. Anyways hopefully I'll have some better luck with the other schools. I hope I get in somewhere and not have to spend another year trying to get in. Wish me luck, and I'll update you all on how it goes.

Again thanks for all your help!!

We are glad we can help. :D You look very competitive (especially with the research publications! ;)) however it is your MCAT score that is keeping you out. I don't know much about cutoffs for med schools but I think you need at least a ~32 to be competitive. The good news is you only have one weakness that is the MCAT and can be improved! Have you taken the Kaplan class?? I recommend that you take that class and do everything they say. ( I do NOT work for Kaplan! LOL...however I did do very well on the DAT thanks to their help, so I would recommend Kaplan to anyone thats having trouble with MCAT, DAT or PCAT!) Meanwhile go on SDN pre-med sections and find out how OTHER people are studying for the MCAT...I am sure there are lots of people on there that are willing to share their study secrets!

Apply to schools that value GPA over MCAT (Duke values MCAT over GPA so that school will be hard to get into)

Also talk to your health advisor. He or she will give you honest opinions on what you should do. My advisor is very honest, if she thought someone wasn't fit for med school or pharm school...She will let them know! :laugh:

I hope this helps! :D And remember you can do it! :thumbup:

PS. Just curious...why do you like med school better then pharm anyways?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
wow, you have amazing extracurricular stats! what's your GPA, if you don't mind me asking?

never mind, I just searched what magna cumme laude means.:laugh:

Don't give up hope for Med school! you still have ten more to go and you know you'd be set if one of them accepts you. :D

[/quote]

PS. Just curious...why do you like med school better then pharm anyways?[/quote]

I took Princeton Review the first time (went from a practice test of 13 to the real 26) so yea PR is good to their word ~10 point increase. Tried Kaplan the second time (diagnostic 25---> highest 33)...real mcat (25.)

And yes I did everything in the book, problems, test, quizzes etc.. My biggest problem comes from the verbal section.

Essentially the break down goes 1st V 6 P10 B10 L ; 2nd V5 P11 B9 R

PS. Just curious...why do you like med school better then pharm anyways

I took Princeton Review the first time (went from a practice test of 13 to the real 26) so yea PR is good to their word ~10 point increase. Tried Kaplan the second time (diagnostic 25---> highest 33)...real mcat (25.)

And yes I did everything in the book, problems, test, quizzes etc.. My biggest problem comes from the verbal section.

Essentially the break down goes 1st V 6 P10 B10 L ; 2nd V5 P11 B9 R[/quote]

Oh sorry, forgot to answer the other question. I like Med school because I want the diagnostic-type learning experience you get. Granted Clinical Pharmacist are in some degree taught that way, I just feel I would be most happy being an MD then a Pharm D. I am in no way talking down about Pharmacy, or talking up about MD. It's just If I can't go MD...I would rather stay in the medical field by going Pharm D.

just make sure you want to go into pharmacy...if you dedicated so much time into pre-med...why stop just because you are denied 2 school so far? you still have 10 more to go and you have next year...and the year after that...and so on

Why don't you try DO or PA first? Even clinical pharmacists don't really diagnose so it sounds like you would be happier there. I would at least try another round of the MCAT and applying to MD schools again. I know it's not fun and a lot of work, but I think you would be happier than if you settled. Plus you can be really proud you didn't give up! Most of your schools haven't even made a decision on your apps yet, so it's still not over for this year.

I like Med school because I want the diagnostic-type learning experience you get. I just feel I would be most happy being an MD then a Pharm D.
Listen to your words. I suggest going back to med forum or DO forum and ask how to improve your chances next year. If you settle for something that you don't want, you will end up unhappy in life. Good luck with whatever you choose.

PS. Just curious...why do you like med school better then pharm anyways?[/quote]

Essentially the break down goes 1st V 6 P10 B10 L ; 2nd V5 P11 B9 R[/quote]

Have you try memorizing all the verbal vocab words? I just bought a box of the GRE verbal flashcards and I am reading the Kaplan book too for the verbal PCAT. I suck at verbal too, but I think if you really memorize all those words on the flashcards you will do a lot better.

plus like others have pointed out you still have 8 more schools left on your list! you might get into one tommorrow!!! :D

Have you try memorizing all the verbal vocab words? I just bought a box of the GRE verbal flashcards and I am reading the Kaplan book too for the verbal PCAT. I suck at verbal too, but I think if you really memorize all those words on the flashcards you will do a lot better.
MCAT verbal is not something you can cure with a bunch of flashcards. It's all passages, nothing else, and you really have to do some thinking to decipher the answers to the questions you are given. Memorizing flashcards won't help, IMO.

OP, DO schools are your best bet. You have amazing EC's, and since DO schools look at "the whole applicant," they will look with more favor on your application. Don't rule them out, either...DO students often end up matching into MD specialties. It's good that you are thinking of pharmacy school as your backup, but it won't be worth it if you end up unhappy.

MCAT verbal is not something you can cure with a bunch of flashcards. It's all passages, nothing else, and you really have to do some thinking to decipher the answers to the questions you are given. Memorizing flashcards won't help, IMO.

OP, DO schools are your best bet. You have amazing EC's, and since DO schools look at "the whole applicant," they will look with more favor on your application. Don't rule them out, either...DO students often end up matching into MD specialties. It's good that you are thinking of pharmacy school as your backup, but it won't be worth it if you end up unhappy.

Good point! But will the flashcards help me with the Verbal PCAT? :D

If you aren't completely aware of what you are getting yourself into as a Pharmacist, you might find yourself miserable (i.e. regretful) and become one of the few (maybe even many) pharmacists I've worked with that absolutely hate their job. It doesn't make life easier/happier for ANYONE in the pharmacy. Don't be one of them and work in a pharmacy/volunteer to gain as much exposure to the profession before investing your time and money into it, just as you would for med school. Otherwise I'm sure it will be apparent in any interviews following the "Why do you want to be a pharmacist?" question, to which it may be harder to give an honest answer. There's quite a bit of difference between pharmacist and MD/DO, too.

Hey everybody.

Currently applying to medical school but so far not looking so good. My top two schools (UNC and WFU) both rejected me and I have a bad feeling about the other 10 schools. And now I'm looking into pharmacy school (since medical and pharmacy have always been an interest to me).

My question relates to required courses. my undergraduate courses never included micro/macro economics, religion, and maybe like one other course that is required for (in particular) UNC Pharmacy.

Though I do have both a Biology BS and Chemistry BA degree. Is all I have to do is take and ace the PCAT and apply? or do I really have to go back to school to take those courses...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
NCMATT

I think you should give DO schools a shot. They are good programs despite what some people may have to say about them. If you have about a 3.5 GPA or so and above 25 for MCATs, you are competitive for most DO schools in the US.

Barring that, you could always do a PharmD then go for you DO/MD. There is no right or wrong answer to how you get there... only that you get there in the end. Ultimately it is your decision to make that call. But before you do, investigate pharmacy first... to see if you want to actually become a pharmacist... I for one would be proud to be either.

Anyway, good luck on your endeavors. I'll be rooting for you all the way.

Good point! But will the flashcards help me with the Verbal PCAT? :D
Yes they will. The wider your vocabulary, the better you will be able to solve the analogies and figure out the sentence completions on the PCAT Verbal.

I think you should give DO schools a shot. They are good programs despite what some people may have to say about them. If you have about a 3.5 GPA or so and above 25 for MCATs, you are competitive for most DO schools in the US.

Barring that, you could always do a PharmD then go for you DO/MD. There is no right or wrong answer to how you get there... only that you get there in the end. Ultimately it is your decision to make that call. But before you do, investigate pharmacy first... to see if you want to actually become a pharmacist... I for one would be proud to be either.

Anyway, good luck on your endeavors. I'll be rooting for you all the way.

Isn't ECU a DO school??