Pre-Med Major/Minoe

Started by bunnis77
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bunnis77

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently working on my major in biology,what would be the best minor?? My ultimate goal is to work in emergency medicine..I currently am an ER Dr asst/scribe (x2yrs)...further,is there any volunteer venues recommended I should do prior to med school appl. ??
 
I'm currently working on my major in biology,what would be the best minor?? My ultimate goal is to work in emergency medicine..I currently am an ER Dr asst/scribe (x2yrs)...further,is there any volunteer venues recommended I should do prior to med school appl. ??

General community service to underprivileged populations. I would suggest volunteering at a soup kitchen, something like that would really strengthen your application.
 
Don't do a minor just to impress med schools. It won't work. And if you're not actually interested in the minor you choose, you're just wasting your time by creating more work for yourself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, you really shouldn't minor just because it is good for apps. Do what you enjoy (and of course jump through a few necessary hoops).

Having said that, definitely Spanish.
 
I'm currently working on my major in biology,what would be the best minor?? My ultimate goal is to work in emergency medicine..I currently am an ER Dr asst/scribe (x2yrs)...further,is there any volunteer venues recommended I should do prior to med school appl. ??


Minor in poopsmithing.
 
Yeah, you really shouldn't minor just because it is good for apps. Do what you enjoy (and of course jump through a few necessary hoops).

Having said that, definitely Spanish.
+1

By all means, minor in what interests you. But if you're asking here, language minors (Spanish, Mandarin, Haitian Creole, etc.) will likely get you to a fluent conversational level, with an institutional stamp to "prove" it. You might actually remember what you learn if you did some kind of immersion experience. It would also dovetail nicely with your interest in emergency medicine.
 
That may be my good man, but my double minor in pre-physical therapy should cover any issues

Dog-Not-Sure.jpg
 
Two things I would recommend (you could do one, both or none)

1. Chemistry - this could be super easy as at most schools you only need one or two more classes once you finished your pre-reqs.

2. Something that will make you stand out. Regardless of what people say about minors not being worth it, I think they carry some weight because when you get asked the "what makes you unique" question you could talk about that minor in a more unique field because, well, biology will not get you any unique points.

I did a public health minor and it's been a positive point of discussion in almost all my interviews.

:luck::luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad