Dec 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone!
I am currently a high school senior and I will be attending college in the fall to start my journey to medical school!
I am having a bit of a dilemma choosing a major. Although it does not matter what one majors in, I would really like another person's input/insight. My first option is to individually design a major in reproductive biology and women's health and minor in psychology and gender studies mainly because I love the study of reproduction in hopes that one day I become an obgyn, and it also gives me a chance to also implement science courses I will see in medical school. The other option is neuroscience. The curriculum includes biological, sociological, and psychological aspects that will help with the new edition of the MCAT. I am not so sure how an individually designed major may look upon a medical school committee, but do you all think I should study what I love as an undergrad, or study what will benefit me for MCAT? I can always take psychology and sociology courses. I want to set myself apart from the average biology/ chemistry major.
Also, anyone who was not a typical science major, please share some advice and on how that worked out for you!
Please do not respond with ignorance or stupidity.

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Study what you love and never look back.

Reactions: Medicine_at_Heart

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2012
Status
Medical Student
As long as those basic requirements are satisfied, you should be golden. I'm a Biology major myself, but i have enjoyed my major so far and I wish you luck with yours! I think it is great that you are trying to change it up a bit!

OP
Medicine_at_Heart
Dec 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
As long as those basic requirements are satisfied, you should be golden. I'm a Biology major myself, but i have enjoyed my major so far and I wish you luck with yours! I think it is great that you are trying to change it up a bit!
Thank you for that! I wish you all the best as well!

californicati0n

5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
My advice would be to not worry about your choice of major as a senior in high school; many people wait until their sophomore year of college to declare a major, and there are also many that switch their major multiple times. You don't really take many major-specific classes in your first semester of college anyways, so you could go in undecided to allow yourself more time to discover what really suits your interests.

Reactions: Medicine_at_Heart
OP
Medicine_at_Heart
Dec 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you!
Well, I started taking my basics when I was a sophomore. I have gotten most,if not all of, my basics out of the way. Even in the past two years I have changes my major quite a bit. Now that I have found a major that I love, I just wasnt sure if I should be worried. I appreciate all of you all's responses!
My advice would be to not worry about your choice of major as a senior in high school; many people wait until their sophomore year of college to declare a major, and there are also many that switch their major multiple times. You don't really take many major-specific classes in your first semester of college anyways, so you could go in undecided to allow yourself more time to discover what really suits your interests.[/quo

Feb 15, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
What they said: study what you love.

I'd recommend researching each major thoroughly though because you never know. People change their minds on major all the time.