Pre-Med Major Possibilities/ Advice

Medicine_at_Heart

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am currently a high school senior and I will be attending college in the fall to start my journey to medical school!
I am having a bit of a dilemma choosing a major. Although it does not matter what one majors in, I would really like another person's input/insight. My first option is to individually design a major in reproductive biology and women's health and minor in psychology and gender studies mainly because I love the study of reproduction in hopes that one day I become an obgyn, and it also gives me a chance to also implement science courses I will see in medical school. The other option is neuroscience. The curriculum includes biological, sociological, and psychological aspects that will help with the new edition of the MCAT. I am not so sure how an individually designed major may look upon a medical school committee, but do you all think I should study what I love as an undergrad, or study what will benefit me for MCAT? I can always take psychology and sociology courses. I want to set myself apart from the average biology/ chemistry major.
Also, anyone who was not a typical science major, please share some advice and on how that worked out for you!
Please do not respond with ignorance or stupidity.

Members don't see this ad.

Study what you love and never look back.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as those basic requirements are satisfied, you should be golden. I'm a Biology major myself, but i have enjoyed my major so far and I wish you luck with yours! I think it is great that you are trying to change it up a bit!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as those basic requirements are satisfied, you should be golden. I'm a Biology major myself, but i have enjoyed my major so far and I wish you luck with yours! I think it is great that you are trying to change it up a bit!
Thank you for that! I wish you all the best as well!

My advice would be to not worry about your choice of major as a senior in high school; many people wait until their sophomore year of college to declare a major, and there are also many that switch their major multiple times. You don't really take many major-specific classes in your first semester of college anyways, so you could go in undecided to allow yourself more time to discover what really suits your interests.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!
Well, I started taking my basics when I was a sophomore. I have gotten most,if not all of, my basics out of the way. Even in the past two years I have changes my major quite a bit. Now that I have found a major that I love, I just wasnt sure if I should be worried. I appreciate all of you all's responses!
My advice would be to not worry about your choice of major as a senior in high school; many people wait until their sophomore year of college to declare a major, and there are also many that switch their major multiple times. You don't really take many major-specific classes in your first semester of college anyways, so you could go in undecided to allow yourself more time to discover what really suits your interests.[/quo

What they said: study what you love.

I'd recommend researching each major thoroughly though because you never know. People change their minds on major all the time.