Pre-med needing advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayhawker1193

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I know I am just a measly pre-med getting ready to start applying to medical school in the summer, but I just had a couple of questions to ask any psychiatrists or psych residents who would be willing to answer.

1. I have found that it is really hard to find a psychiatrist that is able to let me shadow them. I completely understand why this is but wondering if there is a way to get information from psych docs in my area?

2. I feel like I would enjoy psych more than other fields (from reading the threads), but I obviously don't really know much about it yet, so what type of personality would enjoy a career in psych?

I read these psychiatry threads every once in awhile and see how much happier you guys seem than other physician specialties. The lifestyle seems great and that is one thing that really seems to draw me in to this field. It is definitely not the only factor, but happiness in a speciality will be very important to me. Is there a problem in this?

I know it's early to be looking at specific specialties but hoping to get some advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

...happiness in a speciality will be very important to me. Is there a problem in this?

Just wanted to jump on this. I'm gonna tell you something that they don't usually tell you, because it's not very PC. Here's the thing: you can't be TOO happy in a specialty. You should at least be SOMEWHAT miserable. That may sound counter-intuitive, but think about it: if you're too happy, you'll make other people envy you. Envy leads to hate. Do you want people to hate you? No? Then don't pick a specialty where you will be too happy. To be honest, it doesn't sound like psychiatry is a good fit for you. I'd look more into gen surg.

You won't get much exposure, shadowing or otherwise, to psych until medical school. Some really touchy privacy / confidentiality issues that make psychiatrists (and their employers) reluctant to be shadowed by pre-meds. Your best chance at seeing at least some psych pathology is to shadow in the ER...you will see a little bit of everything there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospice programs are often looking for volunteers -- that might be a good way to get some mental health exposure. Otherwise, you could try to get a job as a tech in a psych unit.

Just wanted to jump on this. I'm gonna tell you something that they don't usually tell you, because it's not very PC. Here's the thing: you can't be TOO happy in a specialty. You should at least be SOMEWHAT miserable. That may sound counter-intuitive, but think about it: if you're too happy, you'll make other people envy you. Envy leads to hate. Do you want people to hate you? No? Then don't pick a specialty where you will be too happy. To be honest, it doesn't sound like psychiatry is a good fit for you. I'd look more into gen surg.
Thanks!

You won't get much exposure, shadowing or otherwise, to psych until medical school. Some really touchy privacy / confidentiality issues that make psychiatrists (and their employers) reluctant to be shadowed by pre-meds. Your best chance at seeing at least some psych pathology is to shadow in the ER...you will see a little bit of everything there.
I appreciate the response! I'll look into it. Thanks!

Hospice programs are often looking for volunteers -- that might be a good way to get some mental health exposure. Otherwise, you could try to get a job as a tech in a psych unit.
I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the response!