Pre-med requirements (OCHM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRaqueezy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am currently in OCHM 1 and I was curious to know if OCHM 2 is truly required for medical school. OCHM is not my speciality, and I just want to know if I really do need to take OCHM 2. I have looked at several different med school requirements and they all say 1 year of general chem, and 1 semester of OCHM. I just want to know if its essential or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am currently in OCHM 1 and I was curious to know if OCHM 2 is truly required for medical school. OCHM is not my speciality, and I just want to know if I really do need to take OCHM 2. I have looked at several different med school requirements and they all say 1 year of general chem, and 1 semester of OCHM. I just want to know if its essential or not.
Many schools have replaced the ochem2 requirement with biochem. That being said, there are still a number of schools that do require a year of ochem and even undergraduate schools that require ochem2 for biochem. If you want to be safe and cast the widest net possible, it's best to take ochem2 so you can apply to the schools that require it in addition to those that don't.

Ochem2 is generally more difficult than ochem1. If this first semester isn't working out for you, you can choose not to take ochem2 if it's not required for your degree. I would, however, recommend that you take it. It's a fun class :soexcited: