Pre-med requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Storm9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the exact classes required for med school during your undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

Storm9 said:
What are the exact classes required for med school during your undergrad?

Each school varies slightly in their exact requirements, but generally:

*1 year Gen Bio + lab
*1 year Gen Chem + lab
*1 year Organic Chem + lab
*1 year English
*1 year Physics + lab

Some schools require some sort of social science (such as Psychology or Anthropology), others require math as well. But those are typically the requirements.

mvenus929 said:
Each school varies slightly in their exact requirements, but generally:

*1 year Gen Bio + lab
*1 year Gen Chem + lab
*1 year Organic Chem + lab
*1 year English
*1 year Physics + lab

Some schools require some sort of social science (such as Psychology or Anthropology), others require math as well. But those are typically the requirements.

A small handful of schools require biochem and/or statistics. Most schools require a year of math and some require that it be calculus.

Members don't see this ad :)
okay I have a Year+ of Calculus should i worry about taking statistics??? because i am really not a statistics person.

vincikai said:
okay I have a Year+ of Calculus should i worry about taking statistics??? because i am really not a statistics person.

I wouldn't bother taking it if you don't want to.

vincikai said:
I think statistics is one of the more important classes you can take, to be honest... not because you have to, but because you need to be able to read articles and understand what data is actually being shown. Your university should have a statistics course for science majors that is light on the math.

_ian said:
I think statistics is one of the more important classes you can take, to be honest... not because you have to, but because you need to be able to read articles and understand what data is actually being shown. Your university should have a statistics course for science majors that is light on the math.

You'll get plenty of stats during epidemiology while in medical school. The material that's covered in college does not teach students how to read journal articles, while a med school course will.

deuist said:
You'll get plenty of stats during epidemiology while in medical school. The material that's covered in college does not teach students how to read journal articles, while a med school course will.

Because it has lots of numbers and greek letters, it is one of those classes some folks fear. Sometimes you take the fear out of it if you take it in college. And it can definitely help for a lot of research projects, particularly in the data analysis and write-up stage. But I agree, if your school isn't one of the few that requires it, it is optional.