Pre-Med: SFSU Post Bac Pre-Health Post Bac (Formal/Structured) vs UC Berkeley Extension Pre-Health Post Bac(DIY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curious_Student5323

Reaction score
Hi, I recently got accepted into two post-bac programs in California. SFSU Pre-Health( Structured) and UC Berkeley Extension Pre-Health Professions (DIY). I am applying as an AET (academic enhancer). I was wondering if there were people who have been part of either of these programs and could tell me about their experience? How many people from their class were admitted in MD/DO schools.? I am trying to decide on which path to take? Any Help is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in the UC Berkeley post-bacc program, and I have nothing but positive things to say about it. The classes aren't that hard (but not so easy they feel like a waste of time), and the instructors are generally pretty solid (obviously with some less solid and some being better than my undergrad professors). I don't know much about SFSU, but the UCBX classes are largely night classes, which is perfect if you're working, and they're generally flexible about missing class for life events since they recognize that you are an adult with a job and responsibilities. My load has ranged from 3-5 courses per semester while working 1 job full time, 1 job part time, and volunteering, and it hasn't reached gotten too stressful.
The post-bacc pre-med program itself is very unstructured, and basically it offers you advising and a committee letter. I have found the advising to be helpful, although I'm skeptical of all pre-med advisors and I tend to think you need to be your own advocate and do detailed research. The program was perfect for me as an academic enhancer just trying to take advanced bio/chem courses at night to raise my GPA. Also, they have some cool classes.
Just a quick google of the SFSU program shows me that its the opposite, calling itself a "highly structured, formal" post-bacc. I think thats what the difference really comes down to, if you're working full time, have a family, or have other commitments, UCBX is flexible. Otherwise, SFSU seems like it might be more nurturing.
I have no idea what the acceptance rates are to medical school, especially since it is DIY so there aren't really "classes" of students who all apply, but anecdotally people tend to do well. You really get out what you put into it.

Wow, Thank you @ChicagoNS! Really Appreciate the response and the information!

In terms of SFSU vs UCBX does it matter which post bac for medical school? I believe that as long as you do well the location or name of school doesn't matter? am I right in thinking so?

Also if anyone can chip in on SFSU Post Bac Program that would be amazing!!!! Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)

In terms of SFSU vs UCBX does it matter which post bac for medical school? I believe that as long as you do well the location or name of school doesn't matter? am I right in thinking so?

Also if anyone can chip in on SFSU Post Bac Program that would be amazing!!!! Thanks in advance
My impression is that there is little difference in "prestige" when it comes to post-baccs. There may be a slight benefit to have UC Berkeley written on your app than SFSU, but they will care more about your original undergrad institution.

What you should consider is, if you're interested in doing a full time program, are there any that have "linkages" to medical school? Usually this means if you get a certain GPA or MCAT score you get an automatic interview or even an auto accept. It doesn't look like SFSU has one of these, but you may want to ask someone there to confirm.

Either way, I would say it comes down to whether you have to work full time to pay for these classes, or if you are fortunate enough to be able to do full time school again (which I think the SFSU program is, I may be mistaken). For the former, I would recommend UCBX, for the latter, I would recommend SFSU.

Reactions: 1 user

I have friends who studied at UCBX to fulfill their prerequisites and have since gotten into UCSD, Stanford, and Northwestern for med school. I don't know if UCBX's reputation, whatever that is, helped. But it certainly didn't hurt them.

Reactions: 1 user
I see, thank you for that information @ChicagoNS, I believe SFSU doesn't have linkages but they do have opportunities in connection with UCSF if I am not mistaken. I don't know if UCBX has those connections? Have you heard otherwise?

Thank You! @ucsdfootball, for both the insight and information. Just a quick question were your friends academic enhancers or career changers? I am an academic enhancer. Also which undergraduate institution did they attend?

I see, thank you for that information @ChicagoNS, I believe SFSU doesn't have linkages but they do have opportunities in connection with UCSF if I am not mistaken. I don't know if UCBX has those connections? Have you heard otherwise?

Thank You! @ucsdfootball, for both the insight and information. Just a quick question were your friends academic enhancers or career changers? I am an academic enhancer. Also which undergraduate institution did they attend?
Hi! Just wondering if you ended up applying to SFSU's Post Bacc??

Yes, I have applied and gotten
Yes, I applied and got into the program. I've since accepted their offer but I'm on the fence of I should do medicine or go into another field? But the program advisors are really nice and overall good program.

I'm currently in the UC Berkeley post-bacc program, and I have nothing but positive things to say about it. The classes aren't that hard (but not so easy they feel like a waste of time), and the instructors are generally pretty solid (obviously with some less solid and some being better than my undergrad professors). I don't know much about SFSU, but the UCBX classes are largely night classes, which is perfect if you're working, and they're generally flexible about missing class for life events since they recognize that you are an adult with a job and responsibilities. My load has ranged from 3-5 courses per semester while working 1 job full time, 1 job part time, and volunteering, and it hasn't reached gotten too stressful.
The post-bacc pre-med program itself is very unstructured, and basically it offers you advising and a committee letter. I have found the advising to be helpful, although I'm skeptical of all pre-med advisors and I tend to think you need to be your own advocate and do detailed research. The program was perfect for me as an academic enhancer just trying to take advanced bio/chem courses at night to raise my GPA. Also, they have some cool classes.
Just a quick google of the SFSU program shows me that its the opposite, calling itself a "highly structured, formal" post-bacc. I think thats what the difference really comes down to, if you're working full time, have a family, or have other commitments, UCBX is flexible. Otherwise, SFSU seems like it might be more nurturing.
I have no idea what the acceptance rates are to medical school, especially since it is DIY so there aren't really "classes" of students who all apply, but anecdotally people tend to do well. You really get out what you put into it.
hey. Can you PM I wanted to ask you some about UCB extension