Pre-Med Student at UPJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamK1254

Reaction score
Hello all, to start, I took a lot of general education classes at a community college but also took my Bio 1&2 as well as Anatomy and Physiology. This year I am starting at UPJ as a Pre-Med major and I am starting my higher level classes such as chemistry, physics, microbiology, etc. I have 6 years of experience as a nurse aide at a personal care home and I have two years of experience as a Medical Scribe in the ED. My GPA will not transfer from the community college so I will be starting with a fresh GPA this fall at UPJ. Does my attendance at a community college hinder my chances of getting accepted into Med School? Also, can anyone give me any recommendations or suggestions as to what I can do aside from community service or volunteering that will make my application stand out? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, to start, I took a lot of general education classes at a community college but also took my Bio 1&2 as well as Anatomy and Physiology. This year I am starting at UPJ as a Pre-Med major and I am starting my higher level classes such as chemistry, physics, microbiology, etc. I have 6 years of experience as a nurse aide at a personal care home and I have two years of experience as a Medical Scribe in the ED. My GPA will not transfer from the community college so I will be starting with a fresh GPA this fall at UPJ. Does my attendance at a community college hinder my chances of getting accepted into Med School? Also, can anyone give me any recommendations or suggestions as to what I can do aside from community service or volunteering that will make my application stand out? Thanks in advance!
I think your GPA from CC still equates to your AMCAS GPA even though it doesn't transfer to your University. Taking pre-med courses at a CC won't help, but I think it's better than taking them online. Definitely get some non-clinical volunteering (soup kitchen, food drives, nursing home recreational activities). Also get some PCP shadowing or shadowing in general. With your 6yrs exp as nurse aide and 2yrs as scribe, I would definitely prioritize your GPA and MCAT.