Pre-Med Student at UPJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SamK1254

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all, to start, I took a lot of general education classes at a community college but also took my Bio 1&2 as well as Anatomy and Physiology. This year I am starting at UPJ as a Pre-Med major and I am starting my higher level classes such as chemistry, physics, microbiology, etc. I have 6 years of experience as a nurse aide at a personal care home and I have two years of experience as a Medical Scribe in the ED. My GPA will not transfer from the community college so I will be starting with a fresh GPA this fall at UPJ. Does my attendance at a community college hinder my chances of getting accepted into Med School? Also, can anyone give me any recommendations or suggestions as to what I can do aside from community service or volunteering that will make my application stand out? Thanks in advance!
 
Hello all, to start, I took a lot of general education classes at a community college but also took my Bio 1&2 as well as Anatomy and Physiology. This year I am starting at UPJ as a Pre-Med major and I am starting my higher level classes such as chemistry, physics, microbiology, etc. I have 6 years of experience as a nurse aide at a personal care home and I have two years of experience as a Medical Scribe in the ED. My GPA will not transfer from the community college so I will be starting with a fresh GPA this fall at UPJ. Does my attendance at a community college hinder my chances of getting accepted into Med School? Also, can anyone give me any recommendations or suggestions as to what I can do aside from community service or volunteering that will make my application stand out? Thanks in advance!
I think your GPA from CC still equates to your AMCAS GPA even though it doesn't transfer to your University. Taking pre-med courses at a CC won't help, but I think it's better than taking them online. Definitely get some non-clinical volunteering (soup kitchen, food drives, nursing home recreational activities). Also get some PCP shadowing or shadowing in general. With your 6yrs exp as nurse aide and 2yrs as scribe, I would definitely prioritize your GPA and MCAT.