Pre-Med Student Looking to Go To Med School in Manila

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calico2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently in college in California and I was looking into going to the Philippines to study either at UERM or Fatima. I'm a Public Health Major and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the plan I had in mind. I spent my childhood in Manila and am not entirely sure if I would ultimately like to settle and practice in the U.S. or in Manila, which is a major reason why I am definitely considering going back for med school. Choosing UERM or Fatima just gives me a little bit of leeway if I do decide to come back to California considering their foreign graduate support.

Is there an undergrad GPA cutoff of any sort for either of the schools? NMAT?

Thanks all. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? :) I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could share!

There is no GPA cutoff in both schools for foreign grads. In the past UERM has an NMAT cutoff of 65 but I'm not sure if it applies to foreign grads. Fatima has no cutoff even in NMAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi~

I'm currently a first year at UERM. I don't think there's a GPA cut off here at UERM, but they are definitely strict about their NMAT cutoff of at least a 70, I'm not sure if they changed it this year but that was the cut off last year when I applied. I don't think Fatima has a cut off for anything though, but you might want to double check that. Good luck!

Anyone? :) I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could share!

Also, if you are thinking about practicing or getting a license in the Philippines, you have to do an additional year (5th year) of rotating internship to be able to take the Philippine Medical Boards.

Also, if you are considering practicing in California, you will need to do extra rotations but not complete the 5th year internship to qualify for the PTAL letter. So consider that as well.

Hi all, I'm currently in college in California and I was looking into going to the Philippines to study either at UERM or Fatima. I'm a Public Health Major and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the plan I had in mind. I spent my childhood in Manila and am not entirely sure if I would ultimately like to settle and practice in the U.S. or in Manila, which is a major reason why I am definitely considering going back for med school. Choosing UERM or Fatima just gives me a little bit of leeway if I do decide to come back to California considering their foreign graduate support.

Hello! I'm a Filipino-American currently in Jersey looking to study at Fatima. I've actually already initiated the application process, and I've almost completed all my documents. Coincidentally, I'm a Public Health major as well - just finished my MPH in December. I'm looking to start for AY2013-2014, which I was told (for foreign students) will start in September. The reason why I chose Fatima, is because I was told that we could do our 4th year rotations in the US - in CA, IL, MD and NY. Which I believe, as a foreign graduate, would give us a leg up on finding rotations! Anyway, will send you a private message and you can email me if you have any questions, etc. I think it would be great to already know some people I may become classmates with =]

Since there are plenty of Manila-based posters here, I have a few questions for you guys.

I wonder if anyone would know where I can get international ratings for Manila hospital schools?

I hear about UST (University of Santo Tomas) and UE (University of the East) as the finest medical schools in RP. Any other notable schools?

I'm a US physician on outreach/vacation here in Manila.

Hi I'm a student from India even i was planning to apply in Phil but cannot decide btw Fatima and UERMMC (plz help me list the pros and cons) cause i definitely want to do my clerkship in the us and i also wanted to know that once the clerkship is done how will i apply for residency in the us? and does the clerkship certain that i can get a residency there? I mean, i basically want to know what do i have to do next after my rotations are done in a us hospital?