Australian Honours Student looking to study Medicine in Hong Kong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockatansky96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Daniel and I am looking to study Medicine at one of the two Hong Kong universities offering the MBBS course. I am completing my Honours in Biomedical Science in 2017 so I'll be almost done. I understand that the Chinese University of Hong Kong is a little less tolerant in accepting international students so I know I may fair more of a chance for the University of Hong Kong.

Cantonese is my first language, even though I was born and raised in Australia so I am fluent in English. I was wondering if anyone has any idea or has experiences like me - being an international student looking to study med in HK. For example, is my likelihood slim, what is the fast-tracked vs normal stream of applicants and whether there are any tips for application?

Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

hi rockatansky96
I think both HKU & CUHK accept students with university degree from overseas.
Indeed, CUHK does accept quite some students coming/returning from overseas (at least more than 20 a year?). It is not uncommon to have students coming from the UK, US, Australia, Canada, Singapore, etc.

Regarding the application process, if you can manage to apply early, you will be shortlisted for interviews and know the results earlier. However even if you miss the fast-track, as long as your academic performance meet the criteria set by the faculty, you will still be invited to the interviews later on.

Hi everyone, my name is Daniel and I am looking to study Medicine at one of the two Hong Kong universities offering the MBBS course. I am completing my Honours in Biomedical Science in 2017 so I'll be almost done. I understand that the Chinese University of Hong Kong is a little less tolerant in accepting international students so I know I may fair more of a chance for the University of Hong Kong.

Cantonese is my first language, even though I was born and raised in Australia so I am fluent in English. I was wondering if anyone has any idea or has experiences like me - being an international student looking to study med in HK. For example, is my likelihood slim, what is the fast-tracked vs normal stream of applicants and whether there are any tips for application?

Thank you everyone!
Hi Daniel
My situation is somewhat similar to yours. I was wondering if you ended up applying and if so how did it turn out?

Last edited: