Pre-med Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SP4RTAN

Burn the ship...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there are other timeline threads and I'm not trying to waste anyone's time. But since everyone's situation is different, I was hoping to have you fine folks take a look at mine and make sure I'm on the right track. I am a semi-nontraditional student in that I already have a BA in History and now I will just be taking science classes to fulfill pre-med requirements at a local private college. I would consider myself a fairly strong student, but could use a little GPA bump (3.53 on my BA) and will need a solid MCAT. I work full time, along with being a husband and father, so I can't just throw myself at school and bust this out in two years (unfortunately).

Fall 2013 – Spring 2014: General Bio I&II, General Chem I&II
Fall 2014 – Spring 2015: Organic Chem I&II, Calc I&II
Fall 2015 – Spring 2016: Physics I&II, Biochem (Fall), Genetics (Spring)
Fall 2016 – Spring 2017: Animal Physiology, Ecology, Molecular Biology, Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy (not in that order, just two classes a semester...taking these would get me a BS in Biology)

Let me know if there is a different order I should be doing these in. I am fairly certain that I have to take Calc before Physics here, otherwise I wouldn't be taking a year of Calc. I plan on taking the MCAT April 2016, but I'm not sure if I should do that whilst still in physics? I would then be applying June/July 2016 for med school. Lastly, would getting a BS in Bio make me anymore appealing to med schools? Or does an extra degree really even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that there are other timeline threads and I'm not trying to waste anyone's time. But since everyone's situation is different, I was hoping to have you fine folks take a look at mine and make sure I'm on the right track. I am a semi-nontraditional student in that I already have a BA in History and now I will just be taking science classes to fulfill pre-med requirements at a local private college. I would consider myself a fairly strong student, but could use a little GPA bump (3.53 on my BA) and will need a solid MCAT. I work full time, along with being a husband and father, so I can't just throw myself at school and bust this out in two years (unfortunately).

Fall 2016 – Spring 2017: Animal Physiology, Ecology, Molecular Biology, Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy (not in that order, just two classes a semester...taking these would get me a BS in Biology)

Let me know if there is a different order I should be doing these in. I am fairly certain that I have to take Calc before Physics here, otherwise I wouldn't be taking a year of Calc. I plan on taking the MCAT April 2016, but I'm not sure if I should do that whilst still in physics? I would then be applying June/July 2016 for med school. Lastly, would getting a BS in Bio make me anymore appealing to med schools? Or does an extra degree really even matter?

This is pretty good. But I don't see biochem or genetics or others in your list. Maybe consider those

They are both there in year three, one in the fall and one in the spring.

Members don't see this ad :)

That looks great. You have a good amount of classes, spread out appropriately allowing you to focus on individual classes (thus helping your GPA and your MCAT in the long run).

Looks like a pretty solid plan. Although, there is no requirement to take calculus unless you are planning on taking a calculus based physics class. I, and I think most other premeds, took algebra based physics. There is no calculus involved in the physics on the MCAT either.

Looks like my physics classes have a pre-req or concurrent taking of calculus. I've run across a few med schools looking for calc, so it won't hurt.

General rule of thumb is to have your pre-reqs done before taking the MCAT. I'd plan on a May test date, that way you'll be done with Physics II and Genetics. Also, depending on your schools schedule, you may also have a few weeks of free time to devote solely to the MCAT.

Since I'm not to well versed in what the structure of the new MCAT is exactly going to be like and how med school pre reqs will be altered, take this with a grain of salt: You may have to add some classes like Psych and Sociology

Since I'm not to well versed in what the structure of the new MCAT is exactly going to be like and how med school pre reqs will be altered, take this with a grain of salt: You may have to add some classes like Psych and Sociology

Good point, I was looking over the breakdown of the 2015 MCAT the other day and was considering if I would have to take psych and soc. It also looks like based on my school's class schedule, I will either have to take biochem and genetics at the same time or split them between two different fall semesters...

Thanks, hopefully it pans out in a way that actually resembles this! I am currently discovering that not all of my classes are offered every year, especially the classes I was planning on taking in year four.

Thanks, hopefully it pans out in a way that actually resembles this! I am currently discovering that not all of my classes are offered every year, especially the classes I was planning on taking in year four.

Yeah, man that sucks. There will almost always be roadblocks, but keep fighting!

Your not taking the MCAT fall of your freshman year?
Slacker..;)

Jk, that is awesome that you are married and a father, hope your plans play out as what will best for you.

Your not taking the MCAT fall of your freshman year?
Slacker..;)

Haha, I wish I were, not thrilled for the 2015 version...

And thanks, I'm excited to begin this amazing journey, just hoping to minimize the negative impact on my family as much as possible.