Pre-Med to Pre-Pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GravityxZero35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now Im a second year in college and I am deciding heavily between med or pharm school... Right now my cum gpa is less than stellar... at a 3.6 so I know my med school dreams is probably shot... Im just wondering, when comparing gpa for pharm schools, do they look at cum gpa or science gpa or something else? Cause I know UCSF's avg is like a 3.6 so if I keep up my 3.6 does that mean I got a legit shot at UCSF? thx guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Right now Im a second year in college and I am deciding heavily between med or pharm school... Right now my cum gpa is less than stellar... at a 3.6 so I know my med school dreams is probably shot... Im just wondering, when comparing gpa for pharm schools, do they look at cum gpa or science gpa or something else? Cause I know UCSF's avg is like a 3.6 so if I keep up my 3.6 does that mean I got a legit shot at UCSF? thx guys!

Your best bet is to actually compare schools you're interested in. Their pharmacy school websites should have the statistics for the last few classes, and those numbers should tell you where you stand. Also, don't be afraid to check out the resources in my signature. They're pretty general, but sometimes that's the best place to start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet is to actually compare schools you're interested in. Their pharmacy school websites should have the statistics for the last few classes, and those numbers should tell you where you stand. Also, don't be afraid to check out the resources in my signature. They're pretty general, but sometimes that's the best place to start.

This type of question chronically comes up, and instead of always giving advice on how to apply to pharm schools, what the requirements are, etc., shouldn't you be questioning why they're using pharmacy as a backup when med school is their dream? A 3.6 puts you out of the med school running? Really?

Edit: This wasn't directed at you specifically, just for everyone in general.

Pick a school (or career) that you are the most interested in. Don't just pick a school because your GPA meets their requirements. Not much else I can say.

Which do you like better pharmacy or medicine and ask yourself why. Then go from there. Focus on that goal and pick a backup if you want to and go do what pharm B said.

It's weird to let your gpa decide what you want to do for a living...very weird.

i brought up gpa because I dont want to choose med school and then crash and burn once i dont get in... Im not sure how much easier to get into the top pharm schools tho... I have interest in both and Im just stuck between the two as of now...

i brought up gpa because I dont want to choose med school and then crash and burn once i dont get in... Im not sure how much easier to get into the top pharm schools tho... I have interest in both and Im just stuck between the two as of now...

As evidenced by posts above and elsewhere on SDN, no profession likes to be considered a "backup" plan. If your heart is in medicine, then keep heading down that path and don't let numbers on SDN or anywhere else dissuade you from applying.

With a 3.6 you're not out of the running for any given set of professional schools, especially if you apply broadly between allo and osteo medical schools if that's the path you choose.

Your med school dreams are DEFINITELY not shot with a 3.6. This thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625 shows the % of allopathic med school applicants who were accepted at different combinations of GPA and MCAT. As you can see from the 3.59 GPA line in the chart, tons of people get in with that GPA.

Make a WAMC thread for med school here if you're serious about it

That being said, it's up to you to decide which one you want to do. Don't treat either pharm or med as a "backup" to each other. Your GPA hasn't excluded you from either one

Don't pick a program based upon your GPA. Pick the program you want to go into based on what YOU believe you will be happy with. You're still in your second year so you have a lot of time to explore GPA requirements for medical schools and to take time to look into the pharmacy field and see if that's what you really want to do. As other users said, there's plenty of schools you can get into with a 3.6. Just explore your options by shadowing, volunteering, etc, and see where your passion lies. I wish I would have done more of that during my first two years. (I'm in my senior year of undergrad and just applied to pharmacy programs because of 4 years of pharmacy experience, but am seriously considering taking next year off to apply to medical school instead. I can kind of understand where you're coming from)

Do well on the MCAT. Apply out of state and to osteopathic medical schools.

Pharmacy should never be treated as a backup plan. If you do not have a genuine interest in it, you will be very unhappy in your career.