Pre-Med with a Disability?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boostedct9a

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's my senior year and there is something that I am just now realizing. I never thought it would matter but the more I think about it the more it worries me. I stutter quite badly. It's nice to the point where Vocational Rehabilitation pays for all of my Medical School, but will I even be able to get in if I have trouble communicating? Is there any advice anyone can give me, I know it is an interesting situation. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've tried many different things, ear devices, therapy, nothing really worked. There is a medicine (Pagoclone) that is coming out that is supposed to help, but that is about my last resort.

Members don't see this ad :)
You say your a senior? How did you do on your interviews to the schools?

I'm actually taking a year off before starting med school so I won't have my interviews until next summer. My wife is in grad school and our graduation dates are a year apart so I'll be waiting on her to gradute so I can start school.

I'm also considered to have a temporary disability (recovering from a head injury) i get extra time on exams, hopefully i won't need it by med school.

Do schools really discriminate against a speech impediment? I don't think they can based on the Disabilities Act, but I'm not sure. You should definitely check on that.

http://www.healthcare.uci.edu/news_releases.asp?filename=07OctStuttering.htm

Dr Maguire at UC Irvine is an example...he's a pretty cool guy and a studderer...(is that the correct word?)

I guess YMMMV, but it can be done.

i think the most politically correct way to say it would be to say that "Dr. Maguire is someone who stutters." or "has a stutter". but not to call him a stutterer. but that's only going from my general knowledge of saying someone has an illness (she has dementia) rather than defining them by it (she is demented).

i know that schools have some sort of "communication" thing listed under their technical standards. here is my school's communication portion from the handbook. if you feel like you can't communicate effectively, it might be a problem. and i'm curious, how come you're getting your med school paid for by the rehab people?

Communication Skills: Candidates and students shall be able to speak, hear, and observe patients in
order to elicit information; examine patients; describe changes in mood, activity and posture; and
perceive nonverbal communication. They must be able to communicate effectively and sensitively
with patients. Communication includes not only speech but also reading and writing. They must also
be able to communicate effectively and efficiently in oral and written form with all members of the
health care team.

So it's my senior year and there is something that I am just now realizing. I never thought it would matter but the more I think about it the more it worries me. I stutter quite badly. It's nice to the point where Vocational Rehabilitation pays for all of my Medical School, but will I even be able to get in if I have trouble communicating? Is there any advice anyone can give me, I know it is an interesting situation. Thanks!

Whoa! Can you please explain this.

Thanks for the resources! I guess I'm not alone. As far as getting my school paid for, I originally went to vocational rehabilitation to try and get treatment for my stutter. They said with my grades I was someone "worth investing in" so they decided to pay for all of my books and school (medical school included) as long as it is within the state. :) No loans!!

i think the most politically correct way to say it would be to say that "Dr. Maguire is someone who stutters." or "has a stutter". but not to call him a stutterer. but that's only going from my general knowledge of saying someone has an illness (she has dementia) rather than defining them by it (she is demented).

i know that schools have some sort of "communication" thing listed under their technical standards. here is my school's communication portion from the handbook. if you feel like you can't communicate effectively, it might be a problem. and i'm curious, how come you're getting your med school paid for by the rehab people?

Communication Skills: Candidates and students shall be able to speak, hear, and observe patients in
order to elicit information; examine patients; describe changes in mood, activity and posture; and
perceive nonverbal communication. They must be able to communicate effectively and sensitively
with patients. Communication includes not only speech but also reading and writing. They must also
be able to communicate effectively and efficiently in oral and written form with all members of the
health care team.

person-first identification (e.g. person with a disability vs disabled person) used to be more politically correct, but is now falling out of favor with certain disability groups. this change is due partially to time/length of phrase, but also to the fact the disability is part of one's identity and how they view it.

to OP:
if you have not interviewed yet and are self-conscious about it, i say you address the elephant in the room head on. introduce yourself and say something along the lines of 'i do stutter so please let me know if you need me to repeat anything for clarity' (i disagree with saying 'please excuse my stuttering'- its nothing to apologize for, and it can subtly demean you). then they know its not necessarily because you're nervous about the interview, and then you can let your personality shine through :cool:

EDIT:
(i just saw your last post) i think the scholarships you receive are a testament that whether or not you are conscious of it, your experience with disability gives you a unique perspective. that diversity is invaluable.

You have two challenges:

1) the stutter. you've gotten good advice thus far, particularly about advising interviewers of your impairment.

2) the incentive to get into an in-state school is huge for you. Do your homework about the missions of those schools and tailor your applications accordingly.

You should be fine. My mother is a physician with a pretty bad stutter and has been practicing for over 25 years without a problem.

You should be fine. My mother is a physician with a pretty bad stutter and has been practicing for over 25 years without a problem.

:thumbup: once you're in, you're in. patients will see the white coat before they hear your stutter.