Pre-Medical Comitee Letter??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntGod22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you guys get or got your pre-med comitee letters what did you have them writea about? what did they usually ask you??
just curious to know?

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, we didnt have the option of "telling" them what to write about us. They use a prefabricated format for every student.

They wanted us to fill out a mini application (i.e. extracurrics, essays, transcript, interview, letters of rec) and they wrote out a couple pages of narrative evaluation, stuck in parts of the letters of rec, and did a numeric score in different areas as well as an overall score (ranked from 1 to 7 in terms of desirability)

My experience was like Baylor's. We had to have at least 3 letters of rec in our files, a copy of our AMCAS app (or a form that they use to list EC's), a copy of our personal statement, and our grades. Then we had an interview with a member of the committee who then wrote the letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school doesn't have a committee, does anyone know what your recommenders should write(as in format/using a numbers to rank/blah/blah/blah)?...besides good things, I mean :wink:

I wasn't under the impression that there was anything specific that your recommenders should write about you. At my school the pre-Health office has a cover sheet that goes on all the letters that lets the recommender give an overall ranking of the candidate (but I'm not sure if this is for med schools or just for the pre-Health committee). If you ask someone for a letter of rec just make sure that they say stuff about you that supplements your application, not something that restates what's already on paper.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by AntGod22:
•When you guys get or got your pre-med comitee letters what did you have them writea about? what did they usually ask you??
just curious to know?•••••you should probably go to your pre-med advisor and ask because i'm sure every school does it their own way.

Do you guys know if the adcoms read all your lor, or do they just read the committe letter?

If I could only pass the game, then I would tell you...

My experience,

Talk to the pre-med advisor. Get to know the profs. on the Health Professions committee at your school. Go to office hours and ask questions. Let them get to know you, so that when the time comes, they will have something to write about.

At the application point, we had an interview with one person on the committee (not our choice) and they discussed their opinions with the entire committee at a later date. The actual letter of recommendation came from the entire committee, based on the interview and the opinions of the profs. who knew us. Get to know them so that your letter won't sound like a form letter. Our application packet has a copy of everything sent to AMCAS and TMDSAS.

Moral of the story, if your school has a Health Professions Advisory Committee, get to know them early so you will stand out! :D :D :D

For our pre-med committee, we had to fill out a 6 page form with lots of questions and 3 essays. Then we sent out at least 3 evaluation letters for people to recommed us. Then we had a 30 minute interview with the committee (at mine I had 3 professors. Some had 2, others had 4) in which they asked the inevitable "why do you want to be a Dr." (wrong answer one of my friends said: "Look at my science grades"), "what is the biggest problem facing healthcare in America" (wrong answer by the same friend: "the religious right"), for me (a post bacc) "You had one career, how do you know you won't want to change again?" Etc. etc. It was nerve-wracking (especially with 3 people) but it turned out OK. The pre-med committee at my crappy 3rd tier school is trying to help people get into school, not screw them. Anyone who gets into med school just helps with their stats for next year.
I think it's good practice for the real deal.