Pre-medical committee interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rican18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have it tomorrow, and aside from studying myself and knowing what I did, what else should i prepare for??

Should I bring a folder or such?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It really depends on your school. For example, my pre-med committee interview was extremely laid back. It was just a "get to know you" type of thing. My committee isn't really looking to weed people out. So the type of interview you will have depends partly on what the purpose of the pre-med committee is at your school

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was really chill, they basically asked what my goals were, what schools I'm thinking of applying to, and about some of my background.

One of mine was very chill, the other one the woman was being difficult on purpose and at the end told me so. It didn't bother me, she wanted to see how I handled it, how well prepared I was, and whether or not I put effort in being prepared. We actually had a really nice conversation at the end. Be prepared for everything.

Mine was pretty laid back, it was mostly conversational. I did get asked about what superpower I would like to have, but that was the only left field question.

The interview is to help you for the real deal, just keep that in mind. It's usually laid back unless you look like a horrible applicant at my school.

Not every pre-med committee interview is chill. Some are treated like 'audition interviews', so (unless they specifically tell you otherwise) be sure you dress professionally and can answer the core questions you will be asked in your real interviews:
  • Tell me about yourself...
  • Why medicine?
  • Why do you want to be a doctor? (versus another type of health professional)
  • What would you do if you could not do that?
  • Most meaningful activities & why?
  • Tell me about a time you struggled with something /faced adversity and how you overcame it?
  • What would you do if you saw a colleague do something you considered unethical?
  • How will you add diversity?
For some schools (many? most?) this may be the only chance some (many? most?) of the pre-health committee members get to talk with you, so the only chance they get to form an impression of you. If your committee writes a committee letter, give them something good to work with --