pre naplex exam from NABP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txgrl23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken pre naplex exam offered by NABP?

does it help?

Is It really like the NAPLEX ???

Thank you/1

Members don't see this ad.

It gets you familiar with the testing system and how the questions are presented. I actually took it today without looking at a single piece of review material and got a 98 (a 75 passes.) People have told me it's tougher than the real thing, but I'm not sure how valid that actually is. Either way, if I can get 23 points over passing without touching a study book...well....I feel a ton better about taking the real thing. I just hope the scores correlate accurately to the real thing.

I took the pre-naplex like a week ago. i would say i am about halfway done with my studying, however it just happened that they asked me mostly about stuff that I had not gotten to yet. I didn't think i was going to get a passing score and i got a 112 with a projected range of 95- 130. I mean it is put out by NABP and they wrote the exam, but with only 50 questions I don't know how they can really predict your score. Whatever, I will still probably take it again, I just want to feel really prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-Naplex is almost similar to the actual Naplex. On actual Naplex over fifty percents of the questions are patient profiles type.

thank y'all for your responses. I really appreciate that.
Any other tips on - how to study for naplex?

Has anyone who took the Pre-NAPLEX taken the actual NAPLEX yet? I'm wondering how your scores actually correlated to what the Pre-NAPLEX said you would get on the real test. I just took the Pre-NAPLEX this morning and am kind of scared now for the real thing...I have some studying to do!

I did the pre-naplex back in April and when I took it I was not even sure how I had done because there were several questions that I just had to guess on. I did get a passing score well above the minimum. When I took the Naplex a month later, once again I had no idea how I did... there were many questions I had no idea about. I managed a passing score in the same range as my pre-naplex. Good luck.

I took the Pre-naplex twice and got a 112 and a 127 (as I said above). I got a 132 on the real NAPLEX.

I was told by 2 people who took the naplex last summer AFTER it was taken off hold due to the legal issues to definitely take the pre-naplex. I took it today and got a 127 (range 109-137) with about a week and a half of an hour or so a day of reviewing notes and taking the tests on the apha cd. i'll get back to you after i take the naplex next weekend with how that correlates to the real score...

please let us know how naplex was after you take it and if taking pre naplex before real exam was helpful?

Good Luck!

I'm going to take the pre-test this weekend... From what I've read in the past in these threads, the scores usually correlate pretty well. I'll try to remember to post back once I take the Naplex.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I took the pre-naplex a couple of days ago and I thought it was helpful. I'm about 70% done with my studying and I wanted to see how I was doing by taking the pre-naplex. I got a 127. The questions are old NAPLEX questions so that can't be bad, right? At least you get an idea on how they ask questions. I'm gonna save the 2nd pre-naplex you can take until after I study all my stuff. Too bad they don't tell you how many you miss.

I took the pre-test today and all I can say is that I hope the NAPLEX is at the same level as the pre-test... I really thought the pre-test was pretty easy compared to what I was actually expecting from the NAPLEX. I mean it wasn't a walk in the park, but it was definitely doable!

I think the $50 was worth trying it out... I wonder if all of those unused buttons will be at the bottom during the real exam? Also, I didn't have a timer on my screen for the pre-test like they have on the MPJE.

Okay, I just got my NAPLEX score back today (I passed!), and I took the Pre-NAPLEX a few weeks ago. I took the pre-test before I had really studied and scored low (in part because I had distractions around me and was NOT focused). Then I studied for another two weeks and took the test on Thursday. My score was MUCH higher than the Pre-NAPLEX, and I scored well above the given range. However, I felt the questions on the pre-test were very similar in difficulty to the actual NAPLEX. Overall, I would recommend it to those who haven't tried it yet, if only to get a feel for the way the questions will be on the NAPLEX.

Just got my score back and it was a couple of points higher than the top end of the range they gave me... I can't remember exactly what the pre-naplex predicted but I think it was something like 101-134 and I got a 136.

I would definitely recommend taking it... the $50 was well worth it. I felt like the pre-naplex was a good picture of what the actual exam was like.

I'm so glad to have those exams behind me now!

I just found out my score so I thought I would add to this thread for future reference. I took the pre-naplex twice, so both versions. I got an 89 before studying and an 82 a week prior to taking the actual NAPLEX. I scored a 136 on the actual NAPLEX. I think the test is either a whole lot easier or the 82 was a swift kick in the butt to start just studying drugs and forgetting about disease state knowledge.

Congrats jtwcamel! I hope I can say the same about the difference between my prenaplex score and the actual thing.

Well I guess I replied to that message a little soon-- I just got my score--and I PASSED! I got about 20 pts higher than on the prenaplex.

I just found out my score so I thought I would add to this thread for future reference. I took the pre-naplex twice, so both versions. I got an 89 before studying and an 82 a week prior to taking the actual NAPLEX. I scored a 136 on the actual NAPLEX. I think the test is either a whole lot easier or the 82 was a swift kick in the butt to start just studying drugs and forgetting about disease state knowledge.

Well I guess I replied to that message a little soon-- I just got my score--and I PASSED! I got about 20 pts higher than on the prenaplex.

Good job guys!! :thumbup: :hardy:

I took the prenaplex without studying and got a 98. I took the prenaplex today after reviewing some books and got a flipin' 70. WTF? They were throwing me questions about what type of solution to put IV drugs in, sites of administration, and K-type questions that were mind-blowingly hard and ambiguous.

I apparently got dumber by studying. Oh well....a lesson to you all...studying is apparently BAD.

Last edited:
I was told by 2 people who took the naplex last summer AFTER it was taken off hold due to the legal issues to definitely take the pre-naplex. I took it today and got a 127 (range 109-137) with about a week and a half of an hour or so a day of reviewing notes and taking the tests on the apha cd. i'll get back to you after i take the naplex next weekend with how that correlates to the real score...

My real NAPLEX score was 135, so I'd say there's a really good correlation between pre-naplex and true score, at least in my case. I took the pre test I think a week and a half before the actual test and didn't really do much studying after I took it.

Reading all these posts are helpful, but it's also giving me anxiety so I took the pre-naplex today. I got a 106 (84-122). I felt like i knew like half, and guessed on the rest. Is that a good indication or no? My exam is in 2.5 weeks. But i'm taking a week off to study for the MPJE.

I took the prenaplex without studying and got a 98. I took the prenaplex today after reviewing some books and got a flipin' 70. WTF? They were throwing me questions about what type of solution to put IV drugs in, sites of administration, and K-type questions that were mind-blowingly hard and ambiguous.

I apparently got dumber by studying. Oh well....a lesson to you all...studying is apparently BAD.

Your posts are so hilarious!

I got a 102 on the pre-naplex and a 132 on the actual nappy. I think in general it correlates pretty well, but if anything, it just makes you feel better about the exam itself and that you can pass it rather than predicting your actual score.

I got a 102 on the pre-naplex and a 132 on the actual nappy. I think in general it correlates pretty well, but if anything, it just makes you feel better about the exam itself and that you can pass it rather than predicting your actual score.

Was the 132 within the range that they gave you from your pre-naplex?

Of the two versions I definitely think the 2nd one I took was the hardest. Unfortunately the stuff you describe is stuff we are expected to know. Let me know if you actually were taught this mixing stuff in Pharmacy school bc I certainly was not.

Of the two versions I definitely think the 2nd one I took was the hardest. Unfortunately the stuff you describe is stuff we are expected to know. Let me know if you actually were taught this mixing stuff in Pharmacy school bc I certainly was not.

Like "Can you put Dopamine in a 1L bag of D5W?" type stuff? If so, then no, of course not. Nobody is taught that. It's pointless. It's why we have references and **** so you can look it up because you need brain space for more important things.

The real Naplex seemed way easier than the 2nd prenaplex....which was just bizarre at best.

Last edited:
I couldnt agree with you more its ridiculous these IV questions they ask on there.

congrats! i take mine in exactly 5 days. I just want to get it over with but i'm not sure if i'm ready. I've been studying since foreverer

Pre-Naplex score 109 range 88-124. Actual Naplex score 123. The Pre-Naplex crashed around question 25. I spent hours on the phone waiting for tech support to help me. They never ended up helping me. I finally was able to restart the test, but it started a few questions ahead of where I think it crashed. I don't know if it was worth the $50, but it did predict my score.

took prenaplex 10 days prior to actual exam. Scored 106 w/ projected 88-122. I got 136 today. what the prenaplex does is make you study a little more cuz the way I was studying from the apha book was wrong. I stopped taking the stupid APHA practice questions and focused more on what was being tested on the prenaplex. Pre Naplex is useful if u take it once but mroe than that is probably wasting your money. Gives you piece of mind :)

Got to concur with the previous posters. Took the pre-NAPLEX about a week and a half prior to taking the actual NAPLEX. Scored a 118 on the pre-NAPLEX (can't remember the range) and a 136 on the actual NAPLEX. Didn't study a whole lot after the pre-NAPLEX except items that I saw on the pre-NAPLEX that I hadn't focused on before (more compounding, IV compatibilities). From someone who only studied APhA, I think the pre-NAPLEX was beneficial because it gave me a better idea of what items to study than APhA did (less pathophys, more drugs!). The $50 was worth it for me.

Hi,
I strongly feel pre naplex should be taken by one and all. The scores you get is what you will get in the naplex exam with a deviation of +/- 10%. This has been my observation and experience of my close acquaintances.
These are scores they got in prenaplex and naplex.
120/120, 92/88, 85/90
The rest is for you to decide.

Good luck

I also recommend taking just it once (50 dollars is a lot for 50 questions). It gives you a pretty good indication of how you are going to score, and most of the time, your actual NAPLEX score is a lot higher. You can do a general search on this topic in the past, and the consensus is clear.

I scored a 106 on the pre-NAPLEX, and ended up getting a 135. :D It also helped direct my studies and calm my nerves.

I took the preNaplex ~5 days before my Naplex, just to get a feel for the format and scrolling through profiles, as well as to see if there were any big areas/topics I forgot to study. I scored 141 on the preNaplex and 142 on the actual Naplex, I think it is a good predictor of what your score will be. That could help calm you down before the big day!

I take the Naplex next week. I just took the Pre-Naplex and scored 118 hopefully, this bodes well. It did seem like some questions came out of left field and i was just guessing.

Wow, I thought it was hard...:scared:

I scored a 96 with a range of 73-114!

I got stuck on the first calculation problem...I knew I was in trouble then...I have a lot more studying to do!