Pre-Op H&Ps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Block-Buster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for those of you in private practice: In cases where the patient comes the hospital for a same-day procedure (ex: dental work or podiatry) or for imaging (ex: MRI) and require an anesthetic, yet they aren't being directly taken care of by a physician with admitting privileges (ex: dentist, podiatrist, radiologist), Who takes care of the pre-op H&P? Does anyone else's hospital admin ask anesthesiologists to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Question for those of you in private practice: In cases where the patient comes the hospital for a same-day procedure (ex: dental work or podiatry) or for imaging (ex: MRI) and require an anesthetic, yet they aren't being directly taken care of by a physician with admitting privileges (ex: dentist, podiatrist, radiologist), Who takes care of the pre-op H&P? Does anyone else's hospital admin ask anesthesiologists to do this?

Nope. Never. I only do the anesthesia h&p

Reactions: 1 user
I co-sign their H&P if it’s podiatry, adult dentistry, etc. Make sure it looks good, agree with it, no changes, and sign.

Most peds dental have their pediatrician do the H&P though.

Members don't see this ad :)

they go to their primary care doctor for an H&P

I don't think you can even bill for an H&P if you're also doing an anesthetic... so why would you do work for free!? (when someone else should do it, and bill for it too?)

For us:

Dental or podiatry have to get an MD H&P if they aren’t straight up physicians. Can’t be us (we’ve been asked, but thankfully hospital policy prohibits it), usually it’s their PCP.

MRIs don’t get an H&P from anyone, really.