urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone using po neurontin in holding, for multimodal pain management?

Does it work?

pmichaelmd

15+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2003
Georgia
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone using po neurontin in holding, for multimodal pain management?

Does it work?
In residency, we used Lyrica in holding for multimodal pain management in the setting of regional anesthesia. Lyrica, Celebrex, sometimes Decadron, along with the PNC. Our regional guru swore that that combination augmented the block.

-PMMD

Fooper

Br'thr from an'ther m'thr
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2007
Oklahoma
Status
Attending Physician
Yes, been using it on patients that we do the post-op pain management on--epidurals, intrathecal/epidural morphine. Does in fact seem to cut down on breakthrough pain and requirements (& phone calls) for supplemental meds. :thumbup:

About the Ads

coprolalia

Bored Certified
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2007
Paradise
Status
Attending Physician
Use it. Not convinced. I think the observed positive results are mostly related to the sedation side-effects. We give 1200mg pre-op. I'd sleep for 2 days if you gave me, a gabapentin naive person, that much Neurontin.

-copro

OP
urge

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Does in fact seem to cut down on breakthrough pain and requirements (& phone calls) for supplemental meds. :thumbup:
Very interesting. Do you keep giving it? Or, is it a one time deal as copro is doing?

Sedation, as copro said, seems to be a huge side effect. I wonder if people are using it because of that.

Has anyone noticed any difference while under GA? Less narcotic need? Faster, slower wake up? Does it affect the BIS? Does it affect the MAC? Less bucking? What about PACU discharge time?

epidural man

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2007
San Diego
Status
Attending Physician
Very interesting. Do you keep giving it? Or, is it a one time deal as copro is doing?

Sedation, as copro said, seems to be a huge side effect. I wonder if people are using it because of that.

Has anyone noticed any difference while under GA? Less narcotic need? Faster, slower wake up? Does it affect the BIS? Does it affect the MAC? Less bucking? What about PACU discharge time?

Almost all these issues (less narcotic, less bucking) have some literature to support its use. Most of the literature I have read use it as a single preop dose of 800mg-1200mg.

Here is a good review, but a pubmed search ("preoperative gabapentin") shows many articles on the subject.

Gabapentin and postoperative pain--a systematic review of randomized controlled trials.
Pain. 2006 Dec 15;126(1-3):91-101. 2006 Jul 18. Review.

The data on Celebrex is similar. For TKA's we use celebrex 400mg, gabapentin 900mg, and I think some tylenol, and a fascia iliaca catheter.

Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
The South
Status
Attending Physician
For TKA's we use celebrex 400mg, gabapentin 900mg, and I think some tylenol, and a fascia iliaca catheter.
Nice cocktail, but why fascia iliaca catheter versus femoral nerve catheter?
I have seen some promising literature about using Pregabalin (Lyrica) for acute post op pain any one is using it?

Fooper

Br'thr from an'ther m'thr
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2007
Oklahoma
Status
Attending Physician
Use it. Not convinced. I think the observed positive results are mostly related to the sedation side-effects. We give 1200mg pre-op. I'd sleep for 2 days if you gave me, a gabapentin naive person, that much Neurontin.

-copro

I think recent info showed a ceiling effect at 600 mg with only increased side effects above that. No wonder you're seeing so much sedation.

We just give the one pre-op dose since that covers the time we usually follow the patients for Duramorph & most of our epidurals only run 24 hrs. The surgeons haven't indicated any interest in continuing it when they take over the pain management.

Tenesma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
following the methods of the studies i have been SERIOUSLY burnt by 1200mg of Neurontin pre-operatively - i have had some major unresponsive patients with the required CT head/Neuro consult, and then have to wait 3 days for their brains to clear before going to the OR...

Arch Guillotti

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
We used to give up to 1200 of gaba but don't anymore because a couple of people didn't want to wake up. think they went to the ICU for a while afterwards as well.

coprolalia

Bored Certified
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2007
Paradise
Status
Attending Physician
I think recent info showed a ceiling effect at 600 mg with only increased side effects above that. No wonder you're seeing so much sedation.
Dose is based on some of recommendations coming out of Tim Brennan's work at University of Iowa.

-copro

epidural man

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2007
San Diego
Status
Attending Physician
Nice cocktail, but why fascia iliaca catheter versus femoral nerve catheter?
I'm not sure. No reason really.

I have seen some promising literature about using Pregabalin (Lyrica) for acute post op pain any one is using it?
This makes more sense to me since pregabalin works much quicker than gabapentin (1 week vs 1 month), so one would think that a single dose a pregabalin would be more effective.

OP
urge

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Arch Guilloti,
are you giving a smaller dose now, or not giving it at all?

SleepIsGood

Support the ASA !
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

hey urge

actually this new multimodal therapy is becoming somewhat of a standard, or will be.

look at studies by Reuben. he uses celebrex 400 mg preop an hour before the sx. then he gives it to the pts 200mg q 12 x 10 days. seen good opiod sparing results. same with the alpha 2 delta guys (neurontin/pregablin).

About the Ads