Pre-opt jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mulberry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time and I need to start looking for a job that relates to optometry. is my best option shadowing an optometrist? what have you guys done? what else is there to do other than shadowing?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to say it but you're not going to earn a dime from shadowing an optometrist. Shadowing is merely observing, not quite a job.

I hate to say it but you're not going to earn a dime from shadowing an optometrist. Shadowing is merely observing, not quite a job.

it's not all about the money, dude. it's more for the experience. admissions would like to see that you're involved in the field you're attempting to get into. also, about shadowing, i wasn't 100% on the meaning, thanks for clearing that up.

so, back to my original post - anyone have any pre opt job choices for me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mulberry, I think the reason why bobbio had said you're not going to earn a dime from shadowing is because "job" implies getting paid/earning money. Shadowing/interning/volunteering, on the other hand, implies being unpaid to gain experience.

It's more important to shadow an optometrist and actually sit in the exam room to observe him/her. You'll be able to see what types of patients are normally seen, how optometrists handle children, elderly, non-English speaking patients, or other more challenging patients. During shadowing, you'll also be able to see patients with rare conditions and observe how the optometrists problem solve. You'll also be able to see what a typical day would be like.

If you had a paid, optometry-related job, you could only be an optometry assistant, optician, or receptionist and you won't be in the exam room all day observing. You'll be handling paperwork, scheduling phone calls, helping patients with frame selection, checking in frames/contacts and other clerical work. Although it is paid, and you'd see another aspect of an optometric office, it will not give you a real sense of what the job of an optometrist entails. Remember, your ultimate goal is NOT to be an optician, optometry assistant, etc. and an optometry-related job is training how to work in those particular positions. These jobs will benefit your application, but not as much as shadowing.

Qualities you could potentially get out of optician/assist/reception jobs are people skills, communication skills, organization, patience, etc. but if you can't land an optometry-related job, you could learn these skills doing human resources, waitering, tutoring or any job that requires you to work with a diverse group of people and you could definately work these traits into your application and experience.

Mulberry, I think the reason why bobbio had said you're not going to earn a dime from shadowing is because "job" implies getting paid/earning money. Shadowing/interning/volunteering, on the other hand, implies being unpaid to gain experience.

It's more important to shadow an optometrist and actually sit in the exam room to observe him/her. You'll be able to see what types of patients are normally seen, how optometrists handle children, elderly, non-English speaking patients, or other more challenging patients. During shadowing, you'll also be able to see patients with rare conditions and observe how the optometrists problem solve. You'll also be able to see what a typical day would be like.

If you had a paid, optometry-related job, you could only be an optometry assistant, optician, or receptionist and you won't be in the exam room all day observing. You'll be handling paperwork, scheduling phone calls, helping patients with frame selection, checking in frames/contacts and other clerical work. Although it is paid, and you'd see another aspect of an optometric office, it will not give you a real sense of what the job of an optometrist entails. Remember, your ultimate goal is NOT to be an optician, optometry assistant, etc. and an optometry-related job is training how to work in those particular positions. These jobs will benefit your application, but not as much as shadowing.

Qualities you could potentially get out of optician/assist/reception jobs are people skills, communication skills, organization, patience, etc. but if you can't land an optometry-related job, you could learn these skills doing human resources, waitering, tutoring or any job that requires you to work with a diverse group of people and you could definately work these traits into your application and experience.

exactly the post i was waiting for. thanks, iVision. I will take this into consideration. i am more likely to shadow an opt. the family knows quite well, not to mention she could provide me with a recommendation letter as well. do you think this will help my chances with admissions? that is, disregarding GPA/OAT

exactly the post i was waiting for. thanks, iVision. I will take this into consideration. i am more likely to shadow an opt. the family knows quite well, not to mention she could provide me with a recommendation letter as well. do you think this will help my chances with admissions? that is, disregarding GPA/OAT

As long as it's a quality LOR and paints a picture of the unique qualities you have and relates to how it will make you a good future opto, it will help your chances. If it's a generic letter that could be for any applicant, then it will not help.

As long as it's a quality LOR and paints a picture of the unique qualities you have and relates to how it will make you a good future opto, it will help your chances. If it's a generic letter that could be for any applicant, then it will not help.

makes sense. i still have another year and a half for undergrad.

when should I be taking my OATS? when did you take yours?

btw, congrats on SCCO. would it be rude to ask what your GPA/OATs were? :)

makes sense. i still have another year and a half for undergrad.

when should I be taking my OATS? when did you take yours?

btw, congrats on SCCO. would it be rude to ask what your GPA/OATs were? :)

take the OAT asap after you've finished with most or all of the pre-req optometry classes and when you have time to study for the exam of course :)

take the OAT asap after you've finished with most or all of the pre-req optometry classes and when you have time to study for the exam of course :)

alright good, just as I planned. :D